What is the downside to a Pro 1000?

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Lowpe

Postby Lowpe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

I just picked up my first pro1000. I set it up to do 32 acp and I am very satisfied.

Calber changes seem somewhat difficult and three stations really prevents me from reloading cast bullet rifle on it.

However, for a 3 station handgun press it seems perfect. I have many other presses dillon, lyman, and several other lees.

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Just out of curiosity why can't you do a rifle cartridge with a cast bullet?

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Trinidad Bill wrote:KCBrown...

I feel the same way! BTW thanks for the tip on the standoffs and tray. That is a great idea.

It wasn't my idea, actually. When I saw mention of it I slapped my forehead and said "duh! Of course!", because I was trying to come up with a reasonable way to deal with spent primers. :lol:

But in any event, you're very welcome!

Lowpe

Postby Lowpe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Trinidad Bill wrote:Just out of curiosity why can't you do a rifle cartridge with a cast bullet?

I need the extra stations the loadmaster has to bell the case mouth to take the lead bullet and then I like using the lee fcd to remove it and add a slight crimp. I could probably get by without the fcd with careful adjusting of the bullet seat die...

Rcbs x-die; lyman m die, powder fill, bullet seat, fcd.

or

Collet die, lyman m die, powder fill, bullet seat, fcd.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I too think the Pro 1000 is tough to beat for pistol cartridges. Outside of it being easier to change calibers on the loadmaster I really can't see much of an advantage over the Pro 1000. I drilled two 1" holes under the turret press and Pro 1000 to handle spent primers. They are all good presses.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:43 pm

I've used the pro 1000 for years and here's my take. It works and works well, but is overly complicated compared to other presses like the lm and the classic turret press.

Three things I don't like about it compared to the LM. 1. It doesn't have 4 stages, I like to use a FC die for my 45acp as I don't resize the cast bullets and the FC makes sure they'll feed properly. 2. I can't see the powder charge, the bullet seating station is at the back where the LM is near the front where I can look down in it. 3. The lower guts are way more complicated and easier to gum up than the LM.

I've still got one set up for strictly 45 colt and use it a lot. I may one day upgrade to a LM though. For all that I've loaded a ton of ammo on it.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”