Switiching from 9mm to 40s&w

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

everett113

Switiching from 9mm to 40s&w

Postby everett113 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 pm

I have a Pro1K press and have loaded a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm so far. I didn't have any real problems out of the press. I came across a great deal on some XTP bullets for 40s&w. My problem is it uses the same shell plate as the 9mm, but the cases dont line up with the dies. As I bring the plat up to the dies the case in the first stage enters the die I have to nudge it towards the center for it to feed into the deprime die. This is happening to most of the cases. When I have cases in all of the stages I get a crease in the case that is feed into the bullet seat and crimp die. Dose anyone have any thoughts on this. I have 500 more to load and would like to get this done without have to pull most of them apart due to these crimped cases.

zuke

Postby zuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Welcome to the family!
I have a Loadmaster, but I know someone will chime in soon to help you out.

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:07 am

What brand of 40 S&W dies are you using and are they carbide?

everett113

Postby everett113 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm

I am useing Lee carbide dies. It is the shell plate that is causing the trouble. I have seemed to have fixed the problem. I removed the Z bar for the case slider. I bent it a little farther, as it is the bent one needed for 40 S&W. I also loosened the bolt on top of the press that holds the sqare mount for the Z bar. I adjusted the mount and retightened the bolt. I reinstalled the Z bar and slider. I was able to load 500 rds today with only an couple of issuses. I belive this will take care of the problem. I have also concluded that the press needs to be cleaned after 1000 rds loaded. Thas for the replies I received. I will adding more to the site as I learn more about the press and reloading.

chibern

Is this the same issue you were having?

Postby chibern » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 am

I think I am having the same issue, but not sure why the case slider would affect it.

I created a video of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKV5Enst_Z4

Was this the same issue you were having?

It was also suggested that perhaps the shell carrier was slightly warped and that was causing the issue but I am not sure.

Can you take some pictures to show what you did?

Thanks!

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am

I don't have a Pro1000, but as I watch your video there seems to be a lot of flex in the carrier, which might be normal. The thing that comes to mind immediately is that the carrier is out of alignment. I'm not sure how you align the carrier on your press, but on the LM it is a matter of loosening a bolt and aligning the carrier to where it functions properly. I would suppose it is similar on the Pro1000. I would look in the instructions and see if there is an alignment procedure.

Just my two cents.

Just looked at the Pro1000 instructions on the Lee site.
Look at the "zero shell plate procedure" Sounds like that could be your problem.

chibern

Postby chibern » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 pm

I thought the carrier might be out of alignment as well but the other two positions index fine. If the carrier was out of alignment I would think that all three die positions would be slightly off.

I've tried zero'ing the shell plate and I think I am doing everything correctly but the issue remains.

Thanks for the feedback though. I will take a closer look.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Is that the only set of dies you have used in that turret? It could possibly be that the one station on the turret is slightly off. I would move the turret one space and see if the problem moves with it. I would definitely zero the shell plate out carefully first though. I have two of the pro 1000s and like them almost as much as my loadmaster.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 am

I have a LM , instead of a P1000 . But I would also check the shell plate & see if the groove that the brass fits in has crud in it , making it difficult to get the brass " in " all the way ?

God bless
Wyr

zuke

Postby zuke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 am

WyrTwister wrote:I have a LM , instead of a P1000 . But I would also check the shell plate & see if the groove that the brass fits in has crud in it , making it difficult to get the brass " in " all the way ?

God bless
Wyr

When I went to load 45 Win Mag the brass wouldn't fit into the shell plate that came with my Loadmaster.
I had to send it back to LEE for machining.

chibern

Postby chibern » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Smitty62 wrote:Is that the only set of dies you have used in that turret? It could possibly be that the one station on the turret is slightly off. I would move the turret one space and see if the problem moves with it. I would definitely zero the shell plate out carefully first though. I have two of the pro 1000s and like them almost as much as my loadmaster.

@Smitty62: After a few emails back and forth with Lee Precision, this is the same test they had me do and I think it resolves the issue! Thank you for the suggestion!

And it is so simple that I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of trying it before.  

Basically, I just rotated the die carrier one position counter-clockwise.  I tested to see if the case would still bind on the first position (now the bullet seating die).  It didn't so I re-seated all the dies to their correct position without moving the turret/die carrier.  Everything still feeds correctly! Of course, this still leads me to believe there is something slightly off with the die carrier since it works in one position and not another...

I will confirm this set-up when I get my 9mm dies and hopefully the issue is completely resolved.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 pm

You're quite welcome. That's why we're here because sometimes any of us miss the simplest solution.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 am

I am surprised that the same shell plate is used for both 9mm and .40 S&W. The two cases really aren't THAT similar in size. The case rims are different enough that to convert a 1911 from one to the other requires a different slide as well as a different barrel and different magazines.

9mm = .394" (rim O.D.)

.40 S&W = .424" (rim O.D.)

chibern

Update

Postby chibern » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 pm

As an update - I loaded some 9mm and everything still lines up perfectly. No issues.

As a side note, I find that even with the carbide dies, you definitely still need to lube the cases to get consistent results. Otherwise, sometimes I don't get the cases all the way into the sizing/decapping die for really "stiff" cases and then that throws off the the action for the cases that are in the expanding dies and bullet seating/crimping die.

WyrTwister

Re: Update

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

chibern wrote:As an update - I loaded some 9mm and everything still lines up perfectly. No issues.

As a side note, I find that even with the carbide dies, you definitely still need to lube the cases to get consistent results. Otherwise, sometimes I don't get the cases all the way into the sizing/decapping die for really "stiff" cases and then that throws off the the action for the cases that are in the expanding dies and bullet seating/crimping die.

I never lube handgun brass with a carbide sizing die .

I do with a carbide .30 M1 Carbine die .

God bless
wyr

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”