Primer Tray/Ramp modification

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

chibern

Primer Tray/Ramp modification

Postby chibern » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:26 pm

I have a Lee Pro1K and think it does a great job. However, like most everyone else I had problems with the primers not feeding correctly. Most of the issues seem to be due to the fact the primers would "bridge" across the gap in the tray and not feed into the ramp. If you didn't happen to notice in time, this would cause primers to either not feed or flip when priming a case jamming everything up. Most of the recommendations say to just tap or shake the tray every now and then but I found that I would still forget to do that, especially if you get into a groove. Since hardly anything is original nowadays, I won't claim that this has never been created before but this is my solution to the problem.

Hope this helps someone!

Suggestions for improving are welcome.

http://youtu.be/XNXHtJ0bUTE

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I don't have a Lee Pro 1000 any more, but your mod makes me want to buy another. Excellent work..

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:32 am

chibern,

Would it be okay if I post a link to this on the main video page?

BTW, I experimented a little with filing one side of the opening in the primer tray - so that a primer would drop down on that side before the other side.

I like your way better.

It's been along time since I saw a Pro 1000. Aren't there bumps on the side of the frame that are supposed to shake the primer assembly?

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:39 am

It looks like it works great. Really makes those primers do the jig.
Just waiting for something to go BOOM from all the electrical gadgets that are being used to modify and make things work better??? and faster(is it really needed.
Pretty soon the static electricity or some other electrical phenomina is going to cause a big BOOM I'm afeared.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:03 am

That is pretty slick but I don't seem to have any problem with primer movement in any of my Pro1000s. Having said that I am now sure that the next time I use one it will happen. We do have some really talented people on this forum.

chibern

Postby chibern » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 pm

chibern,

Would it be okay if I post a link to this on the main video page?

BTW, I experimented a little with filing one side of the opening in the primer tray - so that a primer would drop down on that side before the other side.

I like your way better.

It's been along time since I saw a Pro 1000. Aren't there bumps on the side of the frame that are supposed to shake the primer assembly?

darwin - Thanks! sure go ahead and link it. I haven't patented it yet :-) I read about filing the opening as well but didn't want to risk destroying a tray. There are ridges/bumps along one of the support columns but they don't seem to shake the tray enough. Maybe mine isn't set up quite right and I'm just look for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If I ever automate this I might remove the little arm that scrapes against the column that has the ridges b/c it's metal on metal and really squeaky. It would really quiet down the press.

It looks like it works great. Really makes those primers do the jig.
Just waiting for something to go BOOM from all the electrical gadgets that are being used to modify and make things work better??? and faster(is it really needed.
Pretty soon the static electricity or some other electrical phenomina is going to cause a big BOOM I'm afeared

myloadm61 - Let's hope there's no BOOM! I thought about this too, but, I think the risk is pretty low. I don't usually run it continuously like I do in the video. Just short second bursts every now and then. I could be misguided in my thinking so if anyone has a better understanding of the physics please let me know!

That is pretty slick but I don't seem to have any problem with primer movement in any of my Pro1000s. Having said that I am now sure that the next time I use one it will happen. We do have some really talented people on this forum.

Smitty62 - Thanks! You should post some pics of your set-up b/c I think it's a pretty common issue. You must be doing something right to not have issues. Like I said, maybe I'm trying to solve a problem that doesn't/shouldn't exist.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:31 pm

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/WyrTwister/

This is a modification that I saw some where on the web . I did not invent it .

It is for a LM primer tray , but I am guessing it would help a P1000 ?

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:55 pm

I have done nothing exceptional on my set up. Now the first Pro 1000 I had I did have that issue from time to time but for whatever reason the ones I currently have seem to have enough vibration to function correctly. I do make sure they are clean but other than that, nada. Please continue to post any mods you do make as this old dog is always willing to learn a new trick.

chibern

Update to primer tray modification

Postby chibern » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

a follow-up to my first post about my primer feeder mod using a cell-phone buzzer. I now automated it so I no longer have to push a button.

http://youtu.be/VCgSYTFUXY0

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Great stuff; excellent video and explanation. Even I could put this together, I think.

Blake

Postby Blake » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I had a primer load issue while setting up my LM I just bought. This would work well. I wonder how many Dillon owners are saying, "if you just bought the 1050 you wouldn't have this problem".

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:08 am

Every one of them would be my guess.

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello everybody,

i´m a German reloader and PRO 1000 user and i find this forum very useful. I've also made ​​some mods on the 1k that could be helpful perhaps.

A simple modification is the primer tray mod. It solves the problem of the falling out primers when putting on the tray to the press. I already saw different solutions but perhaps one more will not hurt. It´s very simple and works perfect.

I simply have cut two slots in the cover. But pictures will explain more

(I edited this to put the pictures inline with the message. Darwin)

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:32 am

That is one of those things where you see it and slap your forehead and think "Why didn't I think of that?"

A simple, yet elegant solution.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”