Powder through expanding die issue

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

javaduke

Powder through expanding die issue

Postby javaduke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 am

I just recently got my Pro 1000 and started reloading 45ACP. I was able to make the press work as expected, adjusted timing, dies, so far no primer feeding issues - however, one issue still remains. When the case goes into the second station and powder is dispensed, I have to apply substantial amount of force to remove the case from the die and lower the shell plate. Not really an issue if I load one case at a time, but if there are cases at other stations too, it really becomes messy. I did contact the Lee support, following their recommendation, disassembled the die and polished the expander sleeve, but the issue still remains. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if there's any solution.

Many thanks!

WyrTwister

Re: Powder through expanding die issue

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 pm

javaduke wrote:I just recently got my Pro 1000 and started reloading 45ACP. I was able to make the press work as expected, adjusted timing, dies, so far no primer feeding issues - however, one issue still remains. When the case goes into the second station and powder is dispensed, I have to apply substantial amount of force to remove the case from the die and lower the shell plate. Not really an issue if I load one case at a time, but if there are cases at other stations too, it really becomes messy. I did contact the Lee support, following their recommendation, disassembled the die and polished the expander sleeve, but the issue still remains. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem and if there's any solution.

Many thanks!

Are you belling / expanding the mouth of the brass too much ?

God bless
Wyr

javaduke

Re: Powder through expanding die issue

Postby javaduke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm

WyrTwister wrote: Are you belling / expanding the mouth of the brass too much ?

God bless
Wyr

That's what I thought initially, but no, it is just enough to seat the bullet properly. I can try to adjust the die so that it seats a bit higher and see if that makes any difference.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”