TurboLee // Pro 1000 Modifications

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

MacTrap

TurboLee // Pro 1000 Modifications

Postby MacTrap » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello everybody,

as I already explained in my very first post i´m a German Pro 1000 user and new to this great forum. So: Hello everybody :D

I just started a little website which shows some of my projects/guns (in german but with lots of pictures).
http://www.dynamic-shooting.de/

One of my "projects" is my Turbo Pimped Lee PRO 1000. As I bought it wanted to buy an Hornady LnL actually...but this would have been too easy ;-)
So i bought the 1k and started to tune it up. Now it is computerized, has a homemade case collator and a bullet feeder. You only need to pull the lever :-) The 19" case in the background is the control computer of the press. It has sensors and the feeders only work when needed. As well the primer try is equipped with an small vibration motor (similar to the mod in the forum) and the vibrator is also computer controlled. I´m not sure but I think it could be the most modified PRO 1000 :-)

I´m just in progress to finalize the website and make some videos but i hope this first picture is ok for you.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Awesome!!

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 pm

I made some more pictures today wich show more details.
As you can see most of the modifications have some hillbilly style but they work :lol:

This is the home made case collator. It works the same way as the ones from Dillon or Hornady. It fills up the case tube wich feeds the 1k. The computer system controlls the motor to avoid jams.

This is the DIY bullet feeder collator. What you cannot see is a simple "flipper" wich turns the bullets around so that the bottom goes down first. A flexible tube brings the bullets to the standard Lee bullet feeder.

This picture shows the fixation of the turret. The little aluminium spacers fix the turret and prevent any movement.
At the left side you can see a black block with some cables going in. This is an IR sensor wich detects if there are any bullets in the bullet feeder tube. The problem is that the feed finger is not able to pull out the bullet if there are too many bullets on top of each other. I use bullets wich are concave at the bottom. This makes it more difficult to handle. So the computer detects the level of bullets and stopps the collator right in time.

Same in another picture:

The other side of the press. You can see a little microswitch. At each stroke the switch is closed. At this time the computer starts the vibrator for 3 seconds. The vibrator is mounted on the backside of the primer tray to ensure a correct primer feed.

Here is the vibrator

Here you can see two sensors (black blocks) on the case tube. I did not want to run the case collator every time when one case goes into the press. So the computer fills up the tube. When full the collator stopps and waits until the tube is emtpy. Then it starts again and fills it up. So the case collator only runs for a short time and does not annoy me unnecessarily :D

This picture shows the control computer. It´s a small AMTEL µC. The display shows how many strokes i made and if any motor is activatet. Furthermore it alerts me in case the bullet feeder collator works but no bullet comes out (empty?).

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:12 pm

You are a GENIUS.

We're not worthy!

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Nono..I'm probably more a sadomasochist :lol:

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Nice, and I agree withyou on the sadomasochist part. Are you in a business or is this for personal use. I hope you are in a business, or shoot a bunch otherwise you have way to much time on your hands. If the latter is the case I have a few things you can do around here. Nice work though, really nice.

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

I´m a IPSC shooter and therefore reloading is part of my hobby. Modification of my equipment (guns, presses, Chronometers, and so on) is a hobby insidy the hobby 8)

But even this is only for personal use there is a connection between business and private. So if i can help i´ll do my best.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Those are great mods, Mactrap. Probably more than most of us can do, but all in all "very nice".

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 am

I'm just a DDTS shooter and will never need that kind of gear. I hope not anyway.
I need to do a couple of my simple mods.
Do you have a sensor for low powder?

Nationalmatch556mm

Postby Nationalmatch556mm » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 pm

I am very impressed!

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Wildrat wrote:...
Do you have a sensor for low powder?

No. Not till now 8)
But to check the powder is the only thing i have to do myself (except pulling the lever). So it´s ok for me.

For now the last thing i plan to do is to improve the primer feeding mechanism.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: You sir are definitly not "hillbilly" material, theres not one roll of TP in sight. and thats the tidyest reloading area I've seen. :) Next I think you should buy a Loadmaster 8) ............................................I want to see it when you're finished with it.........

Jumping Frog

Re: TurboLee // Pro 1000 Modifications

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 am

MacTrap wrote:Hello everybody,

as I already explained in my very first post i´m a German Pro 1000 user

Looking at the neatness, organization, and engineering in your pictures, I think we would have guessed German even if you had not said so!

Well done, sir!

Blake

Postby Blake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Won't work in North Carolina, there's no duct tape involved! Impressive to say the least. Well done MacTrap!

MacTrap

Postby MacTrap » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for your comments :-)

I finally had time to upload some videos:

Lee case feeder

Lee Bullet feeder

Primer Try mod

I will make some more when i have time :-)

At the moment i try to improve the primer feed mechanism. I added a kiund of punch with pushes the primers into place.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”