Bullet Feeder concern

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

lamrith

Bullet Feeder concern

Postby lamrith » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Well I am working with my Lee pro 1000. It is my 1st reloader so I have been taking my time. When I bought it I grabbed a full package with Collator, scale, book and Bullet feeder.

There starts my problem. The bullet feeder I bought is the .61 to .75" version and my bullets are showing to be .558" DOH!! I am thinking that as long as the feeder is not for a shorter bullet I should be fine? It just leaves more room between the bullet and the die when fed?

Can anyone let me know if I will be ok using this feeder with my shorter bullets?

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Have you tried it yet? I have never had a bullet feeder so I really can't say but would give it a try.

lamrith

Postby lamrith » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm

I have not used it yet, took some tweaking and I am still getting used to the press and making sure it loads consistently as is before making it more complex. I am also still tweaking the OAL and powder drops for my loads which takes a bit of manipulation of the rounds and shell plate. I don't want the bullet feeder in the way.

The good news is that I am going to go from 115g to 147g bullets. It's only $.25/box of 50 more for the heavier round. Those should be longer and fit the feeder I have perfectly. I have about 50rounds of 115 left I will take a look at the instructions for the feeder and maybe mount it and give it a try next week sometime.

prs

Postby prs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I am not sure if the bullet feed is the same or similar to that one provided with the LoadMaster or not. If it is, most folks give-up on it and go back to hand feeding the boolits. It will work if the fingers fit the bullett and Mars is aligned with planet X, but by the time you fill the tubes with bullets and get them on the press, you are hopelessly behind where you would have been just hand setting the bullets. Just for grins I have had mine working with 40 S&W as well as 45 Colt using the short and tall fittings respectively. Its neat to see, but way too busy for me to keep track of. Gotta watch primer function, gotta watch powder levels in cases, and how cases are dropping, and now also how the bullet sets onto the belled case (a little extra bell helps here). But, for speed, I am way faster hand setting the boolits.

prs

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

prs wrote:I am not sure if the bullet feed is the same or similar to that one provided with the LoadMaster or not. If it is, most folks give-up on it and go back to hand feeding the boolits. It will work if the fingers fit the bullett and Mars is aligned with planet X, but by the time you fill the tubes with bullets and get them on the press, you are hopelessly behind where you would have been just hand setting the bullets. Just for grins I have had mine working with 40 S&W as well as 45 Colt using the short and tall fittings respectively. Its neat to see, but way too busy for me to keep track of. Gotta watch primer function, gotta watch powder levels in cases, and how cases are dropping, and now also how the bullet sets onto the belled case (a little extra bell helps here). But, for speed, I am way faster hand setting the boolits.

prs

Pretty sure the bullet feeder assemblies are the same for both presses .

God bless
wyr

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”