How much work is it to switch between calibers

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

spleify

How much work is it to switch between calibers

Postby spleify » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

I just ordered my first progressive Pro 1000. I have been loading on my Lee single stage for over 10 years now so I am really looking forward to the new progressive.

I am used to switching between dies for all the different stations and calibers so that is not a big deal to me but what I would like to know is how big of a deal is it to change out the Pro 1000 for different calibers?

I purchased the press set up for .45ACP but I would also like to switch back and forth between .45, 9mm and maybe even .223.

So what all is needed and how much work is it to switch? Please dont tell me to just buy another press, as this is what I will do in time I can not afford it right now so an alternative is needed.

Thanks

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

If you can't get another press at this time you may want to look at just going with a new carrier set up for the caliber you want. If you use the case feeder, you would also need to change them and of course a turret. It is not really all that difficult to change calibers as I used my first one to load several calibers. You may want to keep an eye on the Lee site as at times they sell the P1K at a decent price. They are a great little press.

spleify

Postby spleify » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks smitty, how are these things with loading .223?

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:17 pm

I have one set up for 223 but I have the cases sized and prepped before I run them through. I am basically just priming & powder drop in station 2 and seat & crimp in station3. It works well for me but we all seem to load slightly different. I also keep one set up for 38 special and one set up for 45acp that I load with cast bullets. I use a Loadmaster for jacketed 45acp.

spleify

Postby spleify » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:06 am

So do I need different stuff to change out for the small primer calibers and the large primer stuff? I ordered the set up for the 45ACP

Thanks again Smitty

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 am

Smitty62 wrote:I have one set up for 223 but I have the cases sized and prepped before I run them through. I am basically just priming & powder drop in station 2 and seat & crimp in station3. It works well for me but we all seem to load slightly different. I also keep one set up for 38 special and one set up for 45acp that I load with cast bullets. I use a Loadmaster for jacketed 45acp.

If you load range pick up brass , as I do , pre-processing is just about mandatory for bottle neck rifle brass .

I size and de-prime .223 on the cast iron turret press . Ream the primer pockets and trim .

After that , they go to the LoadMaster .

spleify

Postby spleify » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:14 am

So do I need different thing other than the turret and the shell plate holder? Do I need different case tubes and something different for the primers?

Thanks for the help

spleify

Postby spleify » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 am

And then do I just remove the first die from the turret so it doent resize and decapp?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 am

spleify wrote:So do I need different thing other than the turret and the shell plate holder? Do I need different case tubes and something different for the primers?

Thanks for the help

If you are switching between large and small primers ( or vice versa ) you will need the other primer assembly .

You will need the appropriate shell plate . Another turret .

Taller brass needs the taller case slider , shorter brass needs the short case slider .

Case tubes are the same . You may need a different case feeder cylinder depending on the diameter of the brass .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:21 am

spleify wrote:And then do I just remove the first die from the turret so it doent resize and decapp?

After you have done all the brass prep , and switch to the LM , you could run it w/o a die in station # 1 .

I use a .223 Lee neck sizing collet die in # 1 . This will poke any tumbling media out of the primer pocket & " true up " the neck and shoulder of the brass .

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Spleify, If my memory serves me correctly you can buy a carrier that is set up for one caliber including priming assembly, shellplate and all the parts you need. Use a small case feeder and slider for 9mm, large case feeder and slider for 45. The same slider for 45 will work for 223. I don't use the case feed for 223, just set them on by hand. On station one you can use a universal decapper or a universal expander die which I use only to stabilize the case. I have done it without a die in one and it really doesn't change anything. I just like to have the case securely in the shell plate before it moves to station two. If you need any clarification don't hesitate to email Lee or call them. I hope my ramblings help.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 am

Smitty62 wrote:Spleify, If my memory serves me correctly you can buy a carrier that is set up for one caliber including priming assembly, shellplate and all the parts you need. Use a small case feeder and slider for 9mm, large case feeder and slider for 45. The same slider for 45 will work for 223. I don't use the case feed for 223, just set them on by hand. On station one you can use a universal decapper or a universal expander die which I use only to stabilize the case. I have done it without a die in one and it really doesn't change anything. I just like to have the case securely in the shell plate before it moves to station two. If you need any clarification don't hesitate to email Lee or call them. I hope my ramblings help.

Are you thinking about the P1000 carrier assembly ?

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, the P1K which is what this thread has been about the entire time.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Smitty62 wrote:Yes, the P1K which is what this thread has been about the entire time.

Sorry . My mistake . :-(

I have read TOO many emails since I read the first post . :-(

God bless
wyr

spleify

Postby spleify » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks so very much for the great info. I may go ahead and call lee on Monday to get the proper part numbers.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”