Damping Grease to Control Shell Plate Movement

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Blacksamwell

Damping Grease to Control Shell Plate Movement

Postby Blacksamwell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 pm

The Pro-1000 will often throw powder out of the case as the shell plate snaps into position. The loose powder builds up with each throw of the lever and eventually finds its way into the primer trough where it can cause issues. I found that simply resting my finger on the shell plate as the carrier came down and the shell plate indexed provided enough resistance to stop the spilling of powder but I wanted some method that didn't require my digit.

I'd been reading about how motorcycle riders had discovered that the damping grease that's used to smooth out the actions of camera lens focus rings and telephoto movements and high end stereo knobs could also be used under the throttle tube to smooth out the movement of the throttle on their bikes. It occurred to me that perhaps some damping grease would help smooth out the action of the shell plate as it indexes into position.

Damping grease is kind of a specialty item. The most popular maker is in the UK and there are very limited sources for it here in the U.S. I contacted the importer and discovered that their prices were way too high for my purposes. But I kept searching and ended up finding a source from China that was offering a small tub of the stuff for only $3. For that price I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I ordered it. Three weeks later my tub of damping grease arrived.

Here's the stuff I ordered: http://dx.com/p/excellent-performance-d ... MgodCTMABA

I took apart the carrier and using a tooth pick I applied a small amount of the damping grease to the shoulder of the drive bolt where it rides against the carrier. I didn't really need much and I didn't want it migrating elsewhere to cause issues.

Put the grease here:

I noticed the difference right away as I assembled the carrier. This stuff lubricates like any other grease, but it also provides a smooth damping action that slows things down and resists quick movements. The harder I tried to spin the drive bolt in the carrier the more I felt the damping grease resisting.

I put everything back together and swung the handle to see how it worked. I couldn't feel any increased resistance at the handle but instead of the shell plate snapping into position with an audible "click" it smoothly moved into position silently. I couldn't even really see a difference in the speed, but you can feel the difference when you manually move the shell plate with your fingers and once I was back to loading there was no more powder spilling out of the cases.

I will post an update after I've loaded a couple thousand rounds with the damping grease in place. So far I've cranked 400 through and it hasn't shown any reduction in effectiveness. Overall, I'm tentatively judging this to be a successful experiment. If it proves itself over the long haul I have a lifetime supply for all of three bucks.

UPDATE: I used the damping grease when setting up my new-to-me Loadmaster. Applied a bit at the center hole of the shell plate, along the bottom and sides (but not the top) of the indexing rod, and used it on the case slider rod. It works great to smooth out the motion of these moving parts.

With just oil on the indexing rod I noticed that the flipper end would occasionally coast out past the frame bump if I swung the lever too quickly as the turret came down. The damping grease stopped that issue.

It seems to provide smooth and gentle resistance to the motion of the case slider crank. I wiped off any excess that the slider crank pushed to the end of its path and after 300 rounds through the press the remaining film hasn't migrated. It appears to stay right where you put it.

I've only needed the tiniest amounts on the parts I've listed. Application was done with the tip of a toothpick.
Last edited by Blacksamwell on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:57 am

What a stroke of inspiration. That has always been a drawback to the 1000.

carload9

i bought

Postby carload9 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:05 am

for 3 bucks i paypal'ed me some on the boat. Try me some on LLM.

Cool breeze, thanks. I have friend with p1000, it kicks his butt, I told him i would help.

carload9

grease

Postby carload9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm

black samwell

Thanks for china dampening grease. Dang stuff is another world, i put it on both LLM's. I could not believe it!

Blacksamwell

Postby Blacksamwell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm more than happy to share any ideas or discoveries that help. I'm glad you found it useful.

I've also applied it to my new-to-me Loadmaster. I really like the way it smooths out the action of the shell plate and the case feeder crank slider.

And for $3 the benefit to cost ratio is very high. :D

carload9

yes

Postby carload9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

yes, me too! did same thing, IT BLEW ME AWAY. Dont know what to say, i think all members should buy it.

tonyjr

Thanks

Postby tonyjr » Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I was using Vaseline but it collect dust .

tonyjr

Thanks

Postby tonyjr » Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I was using Vaseline but it collect dust .

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”