Another primer feed mod

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

jbolt

Another primer feed mod

Postby jbolt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:58 am

I found the grooves on the shaker column to be inadequate so I added six more. One below the lowest groove and five above. Having a lathe made this mod very simple but some handy work with a Dremel tool could accomplish the same thing. With the extra grooves so close together the primer tray and feed chute get enough vibration the keep the primers flowing. An added bonus is the powder measure benefits from the extra vibration for more consistent charges with coarser powders.

carload9

also

Postby carload9 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:20 am

hunt for blacksamwells thread on damping grease for your press too.

Blacksamwell

Postby Blacksamwell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 am

When I had a Pro 1000 my issue wasn't with too few grooves, it was that the pin that is supposed to ride over the grooves didn't apply enough pressure against the column to be effective. I often had to tap the primer tray to keep things flowing.

A simple fix for my machine was placing a small zip tie around the column so it sat in/on one of the grooves. The extra width provided by the zip tie bumped the pin hard enough that my primer feeding issues were solved.

A zip tie isn't as elegant as lathe turned grooves, but in some cases may be a better fix.

jbolt

Postby jbolt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:43 pm

I only have the one Pro 1k but I'm sure there are tolerance variations that would affect the contact between the column and shaker bar on the primer chute. In my case the lower groove makes good contact while the upper grooves do not have enough engagement to have any affect at all.

Nice on the zip-tie idea. It is certainly a quick and easy way to find out if it will help the feed issue.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”