LEE Pro 1k press modification

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

rng

LEE Pro 1k press modification

Postby rng » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Greetings everyone.

I've cross-posted this over at the LoadMaster site so folks here can use it if they want. My apologies in advance if this offends anyone.

Just wanted to share an easy mod to the P1k. I haven't seen it posted anywhere so forgive me if someones already done it.

Typical disclaimer applies. Do this at your own risk.

I've had my Pro1k for about a year or so and have been growing more annoyed dealing with the variance in OAL of cartridges when seating the bullets. This being due to the design of the turret just twist-locking into the turret ring of the press. Lees solution was/is to pre-load the dies which doesn't work very well.

So today I finally decided to try a modification to the press and after a test run and to my surprise it actually worked out pretty good. The mod took less than 15 minutes and I had the materials(screws) on hand.

The pics will explain everything. The "screws" were allen head type, 3@1/4x20x3/4" inch and 1@1/4x20x1 1/2". Using a drill press with a 13/64th bit I drilled four holes into the turret ring(see pics below). I then tapped them using 1/4x20 tap. Since the screws that I had weren't "set" screw type I beveled the ends slightly on the grinder. First I screwed them into the matching 1/4x20 die so I could use it to "chase" the threads when I was done.

Next I installed the four set screws, locked the turret into the ring and snugged the screws down so they would mark the turret for my next mod. I pulled the turret out and used the 13/64ths drill bit and drilled a small dimples for the set screws to seat into. That's about it.

In testing I've found that OAL's are more consistant from one cartridge to the next. Beats having to Pre-Load the dies.

Enjoy,
Richard

Last edited by rng on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:16 am

You're a GENIUS! Great work. Thanks for posting and the photos

rng

Postby rng » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:37 am

As a side note - The holes should be drilled "perpendicular" to the turret so the screws mate flush when seated. I'm going to see how this works out short term and may add two more opposite from the others. Indexing(marking) the turret to the ring would then be necessary to ensure correct placement with respect to the drilled holes and dimples.

Darwin;
Great job on the board. Its a fantastic resource for users/owners of lee presses. We all know how frustrating they can be at times. They're a great value at a good price.

Kindest Regards,
Richard

nicadflyer

Postby nicadflyer » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:19 am

Has anyone tried this mod? I having trouble with LOA on my Pro 1000. I am getting close to .020" variances on some of my loaded ammo.

I just finished a Shell plate rebuild and I cleaned all the dies but nothing has helped yet, I still get a few shells that are way out of tolerance. Most vary up to .004".

I use Rainier and Berry's 115 gr RN and a finish with a factory crimp die.

Any help would be appreciated.

hk_ump

Postby hk_ump » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

the pix are gone can any one repost them or send me a pm to a link of the pix ?

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”