Thinking of adding a case feeder?

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Blademaker

Thinking of adding a case feeder?

Postby Blademaker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 am

I've been using a pro-1000 for years for everything from 38 LC to 45ACP. I recently purchased a LM for 45ACP because it's got 5 stations and the P1000 only has three, wanted a FC station. Anyway, I got the LM set up and after adding a collator and figured out the Lee Auto disk powder measure was amazed at how fast it would produce ammo. My Pro1000 was a big step up from a single stage, but it came with no extra's and I had to buy the dies and shell plates and such piece meal. So long story short after figuring the LM out I ordered a powder measure kit for it. It really sped things up. Since I also load a bunch of black powder ammo on this press as well I figured I could take the powder measure off and put the funnel back on for BP runs.

My question is how much trouble is it to add the case feeder system, and to remove or add a different one for calibers like 38LC, 44 colt and 45 colt?

My other option I'm thinking about is to get another LM since there 244$ over at Midway already set up with dies and everything, and just keep the Pro1000 for black powder ammo. I don't have the bench space for another press, but it's not that much trouble to unscrew them with a battery drill and swap presses out.

Not really needing more than 3 holes for the straight walled pistol brass, so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks

carload9

whooa

Postby carload9 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 am

lf u hav your press mounted correct, it is a major chore to switch press's. L would go read alot more on this site. The case feed is a piece of cake. Follow directions. I would invest (very affordable) in magic mikes mods and call him for help. Or just pull your hair out often.

Solid frt & back:

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks, I've went ahead and ordered the case feeder. At the end of the day the 1000 is working perfectly and I can't really justify getting a new press when it works.

As far as changing the press out, not a real problem. I have the presses bolted down with leg bolts, and a good battery drill will run the rite in or out. Table top is 3/4" birch plywood mounted over 2x6 boards.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:07 am

Got the case feeder in, and sure am glad there's youtube. After a couple of Duh? moments it's up and running like a top, wish I'd done this years ago.

As an aside I went ahead and ordered the lee mounting plate system. While I was piddling around I dug out my first pro-1000 and decided to rebuild it. Long story but it was a bit rusty and and shell plates and such were filthy from reloading black powder out in a non insulated or climate controlled shed while building my house. After getting the house finished I didn't have time to really mess with it, and didn't have video's to let me know what to do to fix it, just the lee instructions. So I tore it completely down and degreased and lightly polished the rusted uprights, blued them and waxed for protection, every part got cleaned and greased with moly/graphite engine lube and reasembled. Works better than new now. I'll work on the shell plates another day. This one I'll leave set up for 44 colt and 38 colt, no powder measure or case feeder as I almost never load those calibers in smokeless.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am

I use a case feeder on my 1000 for sizing 223 cases. Use the 1000 for preprocessing cases due to the three station instead of 5 on the LM. Pro 1000 isn't near as smooth though as the LM. I like the 1000 better to do 380, except it needs to be a 4 station to be aable to use the fcd.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 am

Using the FCD is the main reason I got a LM at all, for doing 45acp. Other wise I'd probably never done it, especially after some of the reviews I've read. That said, finding this site has helped a lot, as has Youtube.

If Lee would make a pro1000 in a 4 hole configuration it'd be an awesome little machine. Though I will say there are some things I like better about the LM than the P1K, like keeping the priming separate from the powder station and priming on the upstroke. Of course the P1K is a bit smaller and easier to say take off the bench and shelve vs the LM.

End of the day, especially with the knowledge hear and the help videos there's no reason a lee press won't give the expensive presses a run for there money.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”