Spent primer catcher

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

glock40sw

Spent primer catcher

Postby glock40sw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:39 am

G'day All.

I have been reloading 9mm and 40S&W for a few years on a P1K.

I have drilled a 25mm hole in my bench under the press to allow the spent primers to fall through into a tin can hooked under the bench.
My Dillon SDB has a clearplastic tube attached to the blue spent primer catcher thingy.

Has anyone got a similar thing for the P1K?
I'm just about to start reloading the 357 Sig on this press. The Lee sizer die is not carbide (why I do not know) So I'm going to use the Dillon Carbide sizer die.

I really wish Lee would bring out a 4 hole converion for the P1K so I can use the FCD in the press.

Thanks.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
Australia

Jumping Frog

Re: Spent primer catcher

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 pm

glock40sw wrote:I really wish Lee would bring out a 4 hole converion for the P1K so I can use the FCD in the press.

Welcome to the forum. Didn't know you were allowed to reload Down Under. I thought firearms were banned. Guess I am displaying my ignorance.

I suspect Lee doesn't want to cut into their Lee Loadmaster business.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:10 pm

When I used a P1K I deprimed the brass (with a turret press if I remember correctly, but it'd be easy enough to do on the P1k). Then I primed with a handheld priming tool - pretty easy to do while watching TV or whatever.

Then I could use the three stations for powder drop, bullet seating and FCD.
Any chance you could get a Load Master down there?

I too though guns were outlawed down there. Tell us more about the situation down under.

glock40sw

Postby glock40sw » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 am

G'day All.

Here in OZ, we can have Revolvers and Semiauto handguns only if we are members of approved pistol clubs. No handgun hunting or use other than on a range. All handguns are .38 or less(9mm, 38 Super, 357sig).
Anything over 38 is banned and we are limited to 10 round mags.

Semiauto rifles and Shotguns and Pump shotguns are also banned.

I shoot IPSC and Steel Challenge. I use a Glock 17 open gun shooting major 9 and a Glock 35/357sig for IPSC standard Major. Steel challenge gun is a G17 Open gun Minor9 or a G34 standard gun Minor9.

Winchester powders are popular as is Aussie made ADI powders. Projectiles are mostly coated lead Aussie made.

I've only just started reloading for the 357sig using necked down 40 cases.

I'm still waiting on a Lone Wolf G35 Slide to arrive. I use Storm lake barrels in all my guns and make my own 4 port Ali compensators for my open guns.

Hunting is done with a Parker Hale 308 or a Custom M17 in 25/06. Wild Pigs, Donkeys, Camels, Kangaroos, Wild Dogs, Goats, Rabbits and Foxes are the usual targets.

I am in 2 minds as to getting a Loadmaster. The Australian Lee rep shoots IPSC and He uses a Dillon 650. The loadmaster seems to get a lot of bad press, as does the P1K. I must say that I have had no trouble with the P1K and want to try a Loadmaster. I have cruised through the posts here and watched the videos and now feel that the loadmaster may indeed be worth trying.
A 4 hole upgrade for the P1K could limit sales of the Loadmaster, But I'm sure that the upgrade would be popular.

Thanks.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
OZ

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks for the info on Aussie gun laws. When I was a kid I always wanted to move there, but no more. :)

What about self defense in the home? I have also read that the crime rate in big cities is pretty bad and it is dangerous to go outside at night.

As for presses, you would be VERY impressed with the difference in quality between the P1k and the LM. The LM is a MUCH tighter and heavier press. The turret is stationary and locked into place with a set screw. I personally always hated the P1k. To be fair I bought it used so that may have been part of the problem. If you are able to prime successfully on the P1k, I can't imagime that you would have any trouble with the LM. I think t hey would have to completely redesign the P1k to add a fourth station, there just isn't enough room to addd one on the press as is. They'll never do that when they have the LM.

Just to add a THIRD topic to this message, if you or any one else has the capability to make videos on how to set up and/or use the P1k, I'd sure be happy to see them and to post them here. I meant this site to be a place where anybody could make videos related to Lee equipment. The LM has been well covered, but I'm afraid the other presses have been largely neglected.

Videos from down under would give the site such an international flavor. :D

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:23 am

Oh, the LM has a hollow ram which catches spent primers. It holds a thousand or more primers before needing to be emptied.

glock40sw

Postby glock40sw » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:41 am

Darwin.
The only problem I have had with the P1k Has been the little white ratchet under the shell plate. It was so worn that the index rod would not turn and allow the shell plate to index correctly. I replaced it and it is now as good as new.
The primer system is a pain. But I loop a rubber band over the expander die and under the primer slide to put upward pressure on the primer system. It works OK. The primers now flow down the slide as they were ment to.
[img][img]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z222/glock40sw/200708001.jpg[/img]

And My Open Glock Major 9

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor.
OZ

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”