8mm Mauser?

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

8mm Mauser?

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 am

Several years ago I treated myself to a Yugoslavian M24/47, which is a derivative of the Mauser 98 and fires standard 8mm Mauser ammo. I mounted a scout scope on it and with mil-surp ammo I've shot 4" to 5" groups at 200 yards. Not too shabby, but the ammo is Berdan primed so it can't be (easily) reloaded.

Not long ago, the owner of the range where I shoot took in a bunch of reloading gear and guns from an elderly customer who was cleaning out the house. I bought the whole lot of miscellaneous reloading "stuff," and came up with several hundred primers, about five pounds of powder, and a bunch of Boxer primed 8mm brass.

I have my Lee Turret Press set up for .45ACP and 9mm, and I'd rather not disturb that setup. I also have a Pro 1000 that I've never used. Does anyone use the Pro 1000 for loading rifle ammo? Good? Bad? So-so?

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:23 pm

Know this is an older post, hope you've got it sorted by now.

The largest I've heard about is 223. I've never used anything but pistol rounds. For rifle I use the Lee 4 hole classic cast turret press. I've got a LM and could do rifle rounds on it, but prefer the control and ability to size, trim, inspect and true primer pocket, dump powder, and seat and crimp all on the same round at the same time and not have to do batches.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm

No, I still don't have it sorted out. I've come up with a motley assortment of spire point bullets, in different weights from different manufacturers, but I haven't found a lot of load data for 8mm Mauser with the powder I got in the initial purchase. But there's enough powder there to last me the rest of my lifetime and several more, so I'll get there.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”