Pro 1000?

Postby mi-fordson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 pm

I have a lee classic turret and want to up grade to a faster press, my
question is will i have to crimp on my old press or will the crimp on
the seating die be good enough. I shoot 1911s and glock and so far
i have had no trouble but i am useing the crimp die in the 4th station of
my turret press. If i have to i could step up to the load master but i want
to spend as little as posible. Thanks for your help this is a great site have
been reading for sometime,this is my first post.

Thanks Nick

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:59 pm

My advice would be to go ahead and get Load Master even if you have to wait a while to save up the money. The P1K is not a fun press to load with, although I'm sure you will find people here that like theirs.

mi-fordson

Pro 1000

Postby mi-fordson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, i am leaning toward the load master from what i
have read on this site if you take your time on the set up you will
have little problems with it.

Nick

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 am

I had the pro 1000 for a while - I bought it used for $100 and thought I got a great deal on it. I never did have much success priming on it, bt to be fair it did the priming at the bottom of the stroke so you could feel the primer go in the pocket.

I use the factory crimp die though and there was no way to do that on the press if you also primed on the press. At that time I deprimed and resized on a turret press, primed using a handheld priming tool and then ran them through the P1000. I had to move the dies one station in order to get the FCD where the seating die usually was. I don't remember the details, but I think I had to reach around to the back of the press to load cases or seat bullets. I don't think I was able to visually inspect the charges. I know I ground off one corner of the top that held the turret so I could see down in the cases.

I got the Load Master, gave up on inspecting and cleaning the primer pockets and haven't looked back. I loaded 1,000 in three sittings and had 4 bad rounds - 3 were my fault and one tipped primer. I'm planning on getting 10,000 rounds loaded and set back by the end of the year.

I took my time, no hurrying at all and I don't use a case feeder or inserter and had a good rate. 344 rounds per hour. That includes filling powder measure, primer trays, everything.

nicadflyer

Postby nicadflyer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm

I also bought my two P1K's used. Once you get passed the learning curve you will love it. I also use it for the FCD. The way I do it is run though a batch of bullets like normal, but just setting the depth with the seating die. Then I change turrets to one with just the FCD in the station one. I hand feed the bullets and let them come out at station 3. I can run 500 bullets though the FCD in just a few minutes.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”