Pro 1000 shell plate rotation

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

ckgdrums

Pro 1000 shell plate rotation

Postby ckgdrums » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 am

I have a new Pro 1000, and was noticing that when I load 9mm the shell plate rotation causes some powder flakes to jump out of the charged cases when the plate clicks into place under each die. Is there anything that can be done to "dampen" this enough so that I'm not losing powder out of my cases?

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 pm

I have the Loadmaster, not the Pro-1000, so I don't know for sure if this is the same. But for the Loadmaster, I do not operate the lever arm at the same speed throughout the cycle.

When the lever arm is approaching the bottom (shell plate at top), I slow down and "ease" the lever arm firmly against the press stop without "banging" it into it. That also has the advantages if there is any issue with brass being fed, sized or primed correctly, I'll feel the problem and can back off before squishing the brass.

Similarly, when the lever arm is approaching the top (shell plate at bottom), I slow down and "ease" the lever arm so that it is gently cycling the press and rotating the shell plate. This has the side effect of stopping the case from flinging any powder.

In between the top and bottom of stroke, you can go as fast as you want.

When I was new to the press, I was talking on the phone with John at Lee and that was the technique he recommended.

ckgdrums

Postby ckgdrums » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:54 pm

It may be a bit the same. The 1K has this little index ball bearing that is held against the bottom of the shellplate by a spring. This is what is causing my difficulty. The shellplate gets on the downside of the ball during its rotation and sort of flips the plate into position. I wondered if cutting a coil or 2 off the spring would ease this a bit.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”