proper crimp for 45ACP

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm

In fact I find that using the seating die for crimping is better for lead bullets. It doesn't seem to resize as much at the FCD.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

daboone wrote:In fact I find that using the seating die for crimping is better for lead bullets. It doesn't seem to resize as much at the FCD.

According to a friend on the M1911.org forum, who is a serious, long-time bullseye competitor and who reloads lead for his competition activities, seating and crimping with the same die is a delicate balance, especially with lead bullets. The issues arise if/when the crimping progresses too far before the bullet is seated. In that case, the crimped case starts shaving lead off the shoulder of the bullet, and the shavings pile up at the mouth of the case. In a semi-auto pistol, this creates problems with chambering and headspace.

His solution is to use a Lee factory crimp die for the crimp. BUT ... he believes (I'm not sure that I agree) that any sizing of the case after seating actually reduces the grip of the case on the bullet. So what he has done is to cut the carbide resizing ring out of the FCD, so that it crimps but doesn't do any resizing of the rest of the case.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:57 am

I jumped on RanchDogs post (http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=864&highlight= And started using seating dies with the seating stem removed in station 5 for a mild taper crimp. Is has proved very successful by not sizing my boolits as the carbide FCDs did.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 pm

daboone wrote:I jumped on RanchDogs post (http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=864&highlight= And started using seating dies with the seating stem removed in station 5 for a mild taper crimp. Is has proved very successful by not sizing my boolits as the carbide FCDs did.

Like you Daboone I was having issues with the carbide factory crimper "swaging" my lead bullet reloads for my 45 colts. My solution like the above post was to remove the carbide .451 sizing ring, seems to work ok and no more undersized projectiles down the bore. I'll have to try your suggestion. It does seem however that the majority of stack and rack shooters have better luck with the cfcd in eliminating feeding issues ie; bulged cases ( I don't get where that comes from, maybe cases a little to long?) but they headspace differently than revolvers if I understand correctly..

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”