Page 2 of 2

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 pm
by helg
I got the press today. Cleaned it with steel wool, and hoppes9, lubricated where needed, mounted on a and loaded first 50 rounds for tomorrow' test
First, cave in a seating stem on a seat/crimp die differs from the one that I have.

Image

Cave on the stem, which came with the press, the right one at the picture, is shallow. I believe that the deep cave seating stem is later enhancement.

Image

At the back is my HF case trimmer.

The 50 rounds went smooth. "Rhythm" differs from the one on a Loadmaster: priming "by feel" does require some attention. In my Loadmaster I refill primer tray when priming through is half empty. On the P1K, primers with the half empty through did not advance.

Nothing went wrong. Though I was not in a hurry, adjusted one operation at a time: die setup, charging, priming, then case feeding.

No doubt, operating the press is more complex than pulling a trigger, but is way simpler than, say, doing brake job on a car.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:10 pm
by Catholicseymour
helg wrote:I got the press today. Cleaned it with steel wool, and hoppes9, lubricated where needed, mounted on a and loaded first 50 rounds for tomorrow' test
First, cave in a seating stem on a seat/crimp die differs from the one that I have.

[The 50 rounds went smooth. "Rhythm" differs from the one on a Loadmaster: priming "by feel" does require some attention. In my Loadmaster I refill primer tray when priming through is half empty. On the P1K, primers with the half empty through did not advance.

Nothing went wrong. Though I was not in a hurry, adjusted one operation at a time: die setup, charging, priming, then case feeding.

No doubt, operating the press is more complex than pulling a trigger, but is way simpler than, say, doing brake job on a car.


Aint she a beauty Pa... I gonna miss loadn' on mine... :cry:

Kinda makes you wonder what all the fuss is about huh! :?:

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:53 am
by 1911A1
helg wrote:I got the press today. Cleaned it with steel wool, and hoppes9, lubricated where needed, mounted on a and loaded first 50 rounds for tomorrow' test
First, cave in a seating stem on a seat/crimp die differs from the one that I have.

Image

Cave on the stem, which came with the press, the right one at the picture, is shallow. I believe that the deep cave seating stem is later enhancement.

Image

At the back is my HF case trimmer.

The 50 rounds went smooth. "Rhythm" differs from the one on a Loadmaster: priming "by feel" does require some attention. In my Loadmaster I refill primer tray when priming through is half empty. On the P1K, primers with the half empty through did not advance.

Nothing went wrong. Though I was not in a hurry, adjusted one operation at a time: die setup, charging, priming, then case feeding.

No doubt, operating the press is more complex than pulling a trigger, but is way simpler than, say, doing brake job on a car.



Is that a Harbor freight mini lathe mill combo in the background? if so how do you like it? I have been thinking about getting one.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 am
by daboone
[quote="helg"Image
Cave on the stem, which came with the press, the right one at the picture, is shallow. I believe that the deep cave seating stem is later enhancement.
[/quote]

I order from Lee 2 to 4 extra seating stem for each seating die. Then with JB epoxy putty applied to the stem and a lubed boolit you can make custom stems for every bullet you load. Better control of seating depth, OAL and no marring the boolit.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:44 am
by zuke
That make's sense daboone,I'll have to do that on my next order from LEE.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm
by helg
1911A1 wrote:Is that a Harbor freight mini lathe mill combo in the background? if so how do you like it? I have been thinking about getting one.
No, this is just lathe. Its original name is "Sieg 7x10", though it is being sold under HF, Grizzly and some other brands. I have bought is used, in "non-working" condition on ebay, for around $100. Each part of the lathe is available on the Internet, so it was good deal, even if I had to replace the most expensive part - electrical control board. Fortunately, the only part to replace on that was a fuse.
I also have new mini-mill from HF (like the lathe, it is not "micro-", but "mini-"). With 20% off coupon that you can find in your mailbox, and $13 shipping (yes, just $13 for 120lbs package, some shops charge more on shipping a single magazine), this was a good deal. I like the mill. It had one problem - switch in speed control potentiometer was not reliable, and motor did not start with amber light on.

On a forum where these are discussed, mini-lathe.com, couple of other people complained the amber light problem.

I has initially thinking of getting HF mill/lathe combo. Though once I got the lathe, it was logical to add only a mill.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 pm
by 1911A1
helg wrote:
1911A1 wrote:Is that a Harbor freight mini lathe mill combo in the background? if so how do you like it? I have been thinking about getting one.
No, this is just lathe. Its original name is "Sieg 7x10", though it is being sold under HF, Grizzly and some other brands. I have bought is used, in "non-working" condition on ebay, for around $100. Each part of the lathe is available on the Internet, so it was good deal, even if I had to replace the most expensive part - electrical control board. Fortunately, the only part to replace on that was a fuse.
I also have new mini-mill from HF (like the lathe, it is not "micro-", but "mini-"). With 20% off coupon that you can find in your mailbox, and $13 shipping (yes, just $13 for 120lbs package, some shops charge more on shipping a single magazine), this was a good deal. I like the mill. It had one problem - switch in speed control potentiometer was not reliable, and motor did not start with amber light on.

On a forum where these are discussed, mini-lathe.com, couple of other people complained the amber light problem.

I has initially thinking of getting HF mill/lathe combo. Though once I got the lathe, it was logical to add only a mill.


Cool, I was thinking of getting the combo machine just for making small parts and what not I just didnt know anybody that had one and I was concerned, I have bought tons from HFT and there is sometimes 50/50 on power tools :lol: