Lee Pro-1000 Help

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Jumping Frog

Lee Pro-1000 Help

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:50 am

I received an email question from someone I shoot with. Since I don't really know the Pro-1000 at all, I thought I'd post it here for help:

I am emailing you in an attempt to solve a problem. I wanted to graduate form single stage to progressive, Single stage loading I am fine with but just wondering if you could help me out here.

After getting a Glock 19 and Lone Wolf Barrel I purchased the Lee pro 1000 progressive press. I heard they can be a "pain in the ass to setup" but I have never experienced anything like this yet. I have everything together and the press cycles for what the naked eye looks right. I have adjusted the timing very little and still am having a major issue. When I resize and deprime (die number 1 in the front) the brass gets caught in the die and then I have to use a screw driver to get the shell plate assembly back down. If I just pull on the level the ram rod that goes into the shell plate just sticks and the operation goes no where. I am confident that die is setup properly I just do not know what could be causing this.

Got any suggestions I can pass along? (I already asked him via email to confirm he has a carbide sizing die.)

zuke

Postby zuke » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:25 am

I ran my Load master very dry to bring out any burr's and to polish out some of the smaller one's.
Tell him to try it that way and to perhap's but a little lube on the first couple he send's thru.
Adjust it one station/die at a time till he's more comfortable with it.
That's how I did mine, slowly and watch how it turn's.
Don't try to load ammo right off the bat look and learn.

kcbrown

Re: Lee Pro-1000 Help

Postby kcbrown » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 am

Jumping Frog wrote:I received an email question from someone I shoot with. Since I don't really know the Pro-1000 at all, I thought I'd post it here for help:

I am emailing you in an attempt to solve a problem. I wanted to graduate form single stage to progressive, Single stage loading I am fine with but just wondering if you could help me out here.

After getting a Glock 19 and Lone Wolf Barrel I purchased the Lee pro 1000 progressive press. I heard they can be a "pain in the ass to setup" but I have never experienced anything like this yet. I have everything together and the press cycles for what the naked eye looks right. I have adjusted the timing very little and still am having a major issue. When I resize and deprime (die number 1 in the front) the brass gets caught in the die and then I have to use a screw driver to get the shell plate assembly back down. If I just pull on the level the ram rod that goes into the shell plate just sticks and the operation goes no where. I am confident that die is setup properly I just do not know what could be causing this.

Got any suggestions I can pass along? (I already asked him via email to confirm he has a carbide sizing die.)

This may mean that the shellplate assembly is at a slight angle relative to the ram, rather than being perfectly perpendicular.

Have him do this: first, raise the ram and lubricate it. Then raise it and lower it a number of times to ensure the lubricant is spread evenly on the ram. Now loosen the hex bolt that holds the shellplate carrier onto the ram while the ram is lowered. Place a case in station 1 of the shellplate and raise the ram, forcing the case into the decapping/sizing die. Then lower the ram very slightly, just enough to ensure that the shoulder is clear of the shellplate carrier. With the shoulder of the ram just touching the shellplate carrier, tighten the hex bolt. Then lower the ram. That should pull the case out of the die.

As long as there isn't a manufacturing defect in either the ram or the shellplate carrier, the above should ensure that the shellplate carrier is properly aligned with the ram so that the shellplate is perpendicular to the ram.

Jumping Frog

Re: Lee Pro-1000 Help

Postby Jumping Frog » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:15 pm

kcbrown wrote:This may mean that the shellplate assembly is at a slight angle relative to the ram, rather than being perfectly perpendicular.

Have him do this: . . . .

This was the winning answer. When my friend tried your steps it fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”