Factory crimp die & lead bullets

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

Factory crimp die & lead bullets

Postby rowe_s » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 am

When loading lead bullets for the 40 and 380 I have started adjusting the factory crimp die so the carbide in the die mouth only goes 1/32 inch onto the case mouth. This makes sure any flair is removed and the case mouth is the correct diameter to headspace properly.

The reason I do the above is to pervent further swaging the lead to a smaller diameter.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:48 pm

agree

prs

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am

+1

I also started using a separate seating die with the seating stem removed and adjusting till the crimp is good but not resizing my boolits. I believe RanchDog was the one who reported on this first.

helg

Postby helg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:02 am

For Makarov, which shell has about the same taper and 380 and 40, with lead bullets I use another bullet seating die less seating stem in station #5. Separating seating and crimping eliminates bullet shaving, and the seating die does not squeeze slightly oversized round that has a lead bullet.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

The LCFC die doesn't "swage" or resize my cast bullets. However I do not use oversize bullets. Nominal sizes, .452 for 45 colt, .358 for 357, and .430 for 44mag. I've pulled and remeasured many, many, many, bullets just to check for this because of so much talk about the CFCD " is resizing my cast bullets!" Maybe this is true for some but ain't happenin at my place. I do believe that some are having trouble with this die from improper settings or trying to use to much crimp as in "well if a full turn gives a firm crimp then a turn-and-a- half will be better for MY full power loads. Scenario: buckled case, when backed out of die case is smoothed back out but bullet tension is gone..and a lot of this is just being parroted by many with no testing done on their part...maybe :roll: Also the dia. of the carbide ring in my 45 die measures .474, the Starline brass I use measures .11, my bullets are sized .452 so I don't see where any "swaging" or resizing is possible. YMMV.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”