Neck wont enter Lee Collet Die

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

Fritz

Neck wont enter Lee Collet Die

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 pm

I am reloading 270win Norma Brass (71grs of water) with Sierra Gameking and 51.8grs of IMR 4350 (this is not intended as a loading recommendation, just part of the problem description). No signs of overpressure.

I am neck sizing with the Lee Collet Die. Brass is cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner prior to resizing. After about three reloads, all of a sudden necks of fired cases enter the die with big resistance. Necks get scratched or the case gets even bulged.

First thought that this is the widely known problem of a stuck die. So I put everything apart, cleaned and polished. Did the trick for this time.

But next reload same story again. Necks seem to thick. Die is clean and moves easily. Even if I take the die apart and widen the collet, the necks wont enter.

Any ideas what the problem is or even how to cure it?

Thanks,
Fritz

zuke

Postby zuke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Have you checked your overall length and trimmed them?

Fritz

Length checked

Postby Fritz » Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Did use the Lee trimmer.

My latest guess is the following:
The gun is a Remington Spartan, i.e. a Baikal. The chambers in these guns are very rough. Had about half a dozen of them in my hands and all had crooked chambers. Usually they try to polish this out. So you end up with a chamber on the wide side. Very wide, indeed.

Even my Browning has a narrower neck. So I did polish the inside of the slotted sleeve. Worked for now. Will post again after next reloading cycle. Perhaps this was the cure.
Stay tuned

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm

After your first post I would have guessed trimming and or a stuck/dirty collet because it was doing its job.

A full length resize do to the oversize chamber may help the neck and shoulder? But with over sized chamber you may be working the brass to the edge as it sounds like your on the 4th or 5th reloading. Annealing may help restore some life back into the cases.

Fritz

Issue (hopefully) solved

Postby Fritz » Sun May 15, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks for your contributions so far.

I am anealing the brass (Norma) after every reload. To my experience, I get a real consistent and very "elastic" feel of the bullet entering the brass with annealing. If I don't anneal, the feeling of the bullet entering is completely different and by far not as consistent. I am using a Forster Benchrest Seater.

Initially I did check and trim the length all the time. Now I only take a couple of cases out of a batch to check and only about every sixth time it is necessary to trim to length.

BOT:
As the whole batch of cases entered the die without any problem the last time, I conclude (hopefully not precox) that it is the question of an oversized neck partition of the chamber.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”