Could not resist the urge - ordered a single stage, too

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

pistolpositive

Could not resist the urge - ordered a single stage, too

Postby pistolpositive » Fri May 20, 2011 9:29 am

Started seeing the benefits of depriming separately and broke down today and ordered the basic lee reloader press (90045), a set of shell holders (90198) and the universal decapping die (90292).
I have decided I like to deprime prior to cleaning (wife just bought me the Frankford Arsenal tumbler/cleaning kit). I figured this would speed things up a tad and reduce wear on my turret press.
I had jokingly toyed with the idea of buying a 3 hole turret and 3 decapping dies and do it that way. Would not have accomplished anything but wasting money, but was an interesting idea.

noylj

Postby noylj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:42 pm

That's the way I do it. I use 20/40 grit corn and never have any in the flash hole or packed in the primer pocket. If I did, it would still be removed when I resize the case. To me, it makes sense to inspect, sort, and deprime as the brass then goes into a case feeder.

zuke

Postby zuke » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:33 pm

I punch out the fired primer's then toss'em into my SS media for a couple hour's.
They come out looking better then new!

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Yep, you'll find that little Lee C-frame press will earn a permanent place on your bench and your respect. There always seems to be some odd job that need to be done that would stop the process of your LM or turret if that single stage wast't there. It'll be a great asset on you bench.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:23 am

I used to de-prime with the universal de-priming die and the Lee hand press . Sitting in the recliner & watching satellite TV .

With the large primers , you have to remember to empty them from the hollow ram , fairly often . Not quite so often with small primers .

Before I got the turret press , and then the LM , I used the little Lee C-Frame press all the time . My disk powder measure was permanently mounted on it . Right next to the Challenger single stage O-Frame press .

I would pick up a case , drop powder into it , move the case to the Challenger press , pick up a bullet and seat it . Done .

Of course , I had already per-processed the brass to the point where those two steps were all that was left to be done .

Now I use the C-Frame press to size handgun bullets with the Lee bullet sizing dies . It and the Challenger , one with .358" die and the other with the .454" die .

God bless
Wyr

Hawkmoon

Re: Could not resist the urge - ordered a single stage, too

Postby Hawkmoon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:14 am

pistolpositive wrote:Started seeing the benefits of depriming separately and broke down today and ordered the basic lee reloader press (90045), a set of shell holders (90198) and the universal decapping die (90292).
I have decided I like to deprime prior to cleaning (wife just bought me the Frankford Arsenal tumbler/cleaning kit). I figured this would speed things up a tad and reduce wear on my turret press.
I had jokingly toyed with the idea of buying a 3 hole turret and 3 decapping dies and do it that way. Would not have accomplished anything but wasting money, but was an interesting idea.

Buy a Pro 1000 and three decapping dies?

Or buy a Loadmaster and FIVE decapping dies. Now you'll really be crankin' ...

Oh ... wait ... how's that work again?

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Hawk, Using your P1K or LM that way would be like playing russian roulette with a semi-automatic. After the 1st pull, it wouldn't matter.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Smitty62 wrote:Hawk, Using your P1K or LM that way would be like playing russian roulette with a semi-automatic. After the 1st pull, it wouldn't matter.

I know -- hence the closing line. I was only funnin'

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:53 am

So was I. Us old vets seem to have a sick sense of humor.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:51 am

I'm using the classic turret with a decap die, size die, decap die and size die to decap and size 223. I don't know if it's any faster but it works well that way, expecially with the crimped primers.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”