Miscellaneous miscellany from Lee

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Miscellaneous miscellany from Lee

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat May 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Bought some replacement parts awhile ago and Lee sent me a printed catalog, that I am only just getting around to leafing through. I see a couple of little toys that might be of interest to some of us:

First up, the Hand Press is now breech lock. Personally, I have no interest in the Hand Press, but I can see that not needing to adjust the dies each time you swap to the next stage would be a significant improvement (just as it is with the bench-mount single stage presses). Lee #90685

Decapper die. Depending on how you sequence your work flow, this might be of interest. I decap in a single stage press before hand priming, and this die means I don't ever change the die, for any caliber. All I change is the shell holder. This is a universal decapper. Lee #90783

Universal expanding die. I haven't figured out where or why I might use this, but it's nice to know there is one available. It includes two different tapered expanding plugs, to handle .22 through .45 caliber. Lee #90798

Micro-Disk. For use in the Auto-Disk powder measure, if you need very small charges. For Bullseye, for example, they say it will drop from 1.1 to 2.5 grains. Lee #90302

Round die boxes. Just a round, red plastic drum to store set-up turrets from the Turret Presses or the Pro 1000. Takes both the 3-hole and 4-hole turrets. Lee #90535

And, of course, the Lee Shooter computer program. It's both a ballistic calculator and a reloading database that you can use to keep a record of your handload data. I have it. It's a bit quirky and clunky, but not bad for the price ... 19.98 (I think it's cheaper at Natchez). Lee #90480

Who else uses any of Lee's lesser known toys or accessories that other folks might be interested in knowing about?

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 pm

not needing to adjust the dies each time you swap to the next stage would be a significant improvement (just as it is with the bench-mount single stage presses). Lee #90685

I like the Hornady Lock and load bushings. They work great.

Citywaterman

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

With the exception of the bushing inserts I have and use every thing you mentioned.
The decapper die is excellent. I have a little Lee C-frame that is dedicated to the depriming cases before they go in the buzz bucket for cleaning.

The universal expander has mostlybeen replaced by M-dies. However on the LM I use it in station #2 to assist in case alignment and mild belling.

Micro disk is set up for ACP 32 loading and work very well.

I like Lee's Shooter program as well. not for any ballistic info but for gun records and powder company data and my load data. I gotta admit it's an old fashion data base program, a little clumsy but I've got so much loaded into it that for me it's useful.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm

I have and use everything you mentioned except the hand press. Lee used to only sell dies in the round boxes and in fact they have started using the flat boxes only in the past few years. I have been getting their catalogs since about 1990 and i think they went to the flat boxes when the four die sets got popular. Most all of my lee dies came in round boxes. I wish i had kept them all, but i still use them for my turrets with the exception of my loadmaster turrets which i use the bullet sizer boxes.

noylj

Postby noylj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:
Universal expanding die. I haven't figured out where or why I might use this, but it's nice to know there is one available. It includes two different tapered expanding plugs, to handle .22 through .45 caliber. Lee #90798

I complained to Lee since the Universal expanding die does not expand. All it does if flare/bell the case mouth. This would work for cast bullet in a bottleneck case, but you REALLY need to expand the case over the length that the bullet will be seated to just 0.002" under the bullet diameter. Many loaders are NOT properly expanding their straightwall cases and then complaining about the bullets being damaged or the case having a bulge from the bullet not seating straight.

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Noylj you gotta be Lyman M-die user... at least I'd guess. Their powder through the expander pistol M-die is a great value for about 26 bucks for 9 different cartridges. For the cast bullet handloader the step expander dies take reloading to a new level there are that good.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Uncle Don wrote that ballistics program. He and Shadowdog were the ones that helped me get up and running on the Load Master. Uncle Don is THE expert on Load Masters. They were both very active at Glocktalk back then. I think Uncle Don may still be, I haven't been over there for a long time.

Shadowdog also got me started making videos. We kind of fed off of each other's work.

Without those two, this site would not exist. It's as simple as that.

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 am

Darwin you really hooked up with 2 amazing people, Uncle Don and Shadowdog. I have bookmarked several of their posts, threads and comment over the last 3 years. Their insights and yours on the LM tamed the beast. Thank you for this insight on the LMZONE history.

Did Uncle Don work with Lee on the program or just sell it to them? Sure would be nice to have them post their hindsight and opinions again.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I think there was some two way communication, but don't know the details.

I also think that Uncle Don is friends with John Lee, but again, I don't know for sure.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”