Do not know if this is the right catigory ?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

Do not know if this is the right catigory ?

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 pm

But , here goes ;

I almost exclusively tumble lube my home cast Lee bullets .

After loading a respectable number of rounds , the lube starts to build up in the seating die . Bullets gradually seat deeper .

It can be temporary " fixed " by raising the seating stem . But sooner or later , it becomes necessary to take the die apart and clean the insides . Then re-adjust the seating stem .

God bless
Wyr

zuke

Postby zuke » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I unscrew the die and toss it into a bowl of gasoline for a couple day's then reassemble.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 am

zuke wrote:I unscrew the die and toss it into a bowl of gasoline for a couple day's then reassemble.

I am too impatient to do it that way . I pushed and scraped as much out that I could . Should have sprayed it with solvent and used a long screwdriver and a patch / small rag to scrubb out the rest .

God bless

Wyr

zuke

Postby zuke » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 am

A modified m-16 chamber brush work's also.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 am

zuke wrote:A modified m-16 chamber brush work's also.

That sounds like a good idea .

Thanks , :-)

God bless
Wyr

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Spray with WD 40 and wipe out with a rag..usually the corner of an old wash cloth..

noylj

Postby noylj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 pm

You must be using too much LLA. If you can see the LLA on the bullet, you have too much.
If you need that much, maybe you should try setting up all your bullets in a pan, pour in thinned LLA to almost the ogive of the bullet (so the bore bearing section is lubed), and remove the bullets, scrape off the bottom of the bullet back into the pan and set the bullets up on aluminum foil or wax-paper. This will keep the nose of the bullet clean.
I have never had more than about 0.002" of LLA "film" build up on my Lee seater stem, if that. My normal COL variation just from the cast bullet is more than that.
I would order a custom seater stem from Lee and ask for a cavity in the center for excess LLA to flow into. They should know what to do for this problem.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 pm

I use home made soft lube for many black powder revolver cartridges and it realy builds-up, but removes easily and cleanly with wadded-up paper towel. I use the Lee Liquid Allox (LLA) for smokeless boolits and have not build-up A-Tall. How do I do it. First, it soulds like you are using WAY WAY too much LLA; just a few drops will do quite a bunch of boolits. Second, I let them dry thoroughly before relaoding. Dry time is a PIA, but if you mix 10% odorless paint thinner with the LLA it goes much faster, I give it several days. I get even better, less stickty result if I use a cooked blend of Johnson Paste Wax (JPW) and LLA. Go to cast boolits do com to get the recipe and technique. Excellent results!

prs

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:54 am

prs wrote:I use home made soft lube for many black powder revolver cartridges and it realy builds-up, but removes easily and cleanly with wadded-up paper towel. I use the Lee Liquid Allox (LLA) for smokeless boolits and have not build-up A-Tall. How do I do it. First, it soulds like you are using WAY WAY too much LLA; just a few drops will do quite a bunch of boolits. Second, I let them dry thoroughly before relaoding. Dry time is a PIA, but if you mix 10% odorless paint thinner with the LLA it goes much faster, I give it several days. I get even better, less stickty result if I use a cooked blend of Johnson Paste Wax (JPW) and LLA. Go to cast boolits do com to get the recipe and technique. Excellent results!

prs

I have started using LLA + JPW + paint thinner & it works better .

This summer I would put hot bullets in the hot sun & they would dry in about 14 hours .

God bless
wyr

noylj

Postby noylj » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:08 am

I have been using LLA for years (decades?) and have never been bothered by its tackiness. I am more concerned with how the target looks and how my barrel looks.
A tacky bullet goes in a box, it comes out and is seated, the round goes in a box, the round comes out of the box and it is fired.
At no time did the tackiness bother me. Also, if you don't use an excess, the tackiness is greatly reduced.
I also found that slightly undersized bullets can be made to shoot quite well with a couple coatings of LLA or a coating of Rooster Jacket.
I also plan to mix some LLA or Xlox with JPW.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”