30-30 de-prime and expander rod‏

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

30-30 de-prime and expander rod‏

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:51 am

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww20 ... p-1726.jpg
The first photo of the.30-30 de-priming and expander rod , is what I am posting about . This photo is from the Lee's web site .

The one I has does not have the long taper on the expander .

It had the abrupt taper on each end of the expander section and that section was long .

When resizing .30-30 brass , as the brass was withdrawn from the die and the rod was pulled from the inside of the brass , my problem occurred .

The expander " started " while the neck of the brass was still in the neck portion of the die . The fit between the die , the brass and the expander was too tight . It was binding / locking up .

Instead of pulling the brass out of the die / expander , the brass was coming out if the die and pulling the rod out of the die . No matter how tight I tightened the collet holding the rod ( Lee FL sizing die ) .

I removed the rod and chucked the " top " part in an electric drill motor . With the rod spinning , I used a file to reduce / taper the expander portion , at the " top " . So that the expander did not reach its full diameter until the neck of the brass had traveled far enough that it was constrained by the neck portion of the die . ( Somewhat like the taper in the pic , but reversed . )

This seems to work much better , now .

I do not know if I had the wrong rod for the .30-30 ? The expander measured .308" . It still does , towards the bottom . It tapers down / smaller , the " higher " up the rod you go ( due to my filing ) .

God bless
Wyr
Last edited by WyrTwister on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 pm

I sent basically the same message to Lee , that I posted here .

They offered to send me , free , the new style expander / de-priming rod .

I replied , " Yes , please . " .

Do not know if it will work better than the one I modified , but I will give it a try .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”