Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die + Lee Reloader Single Stage?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

javaduke

Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die + Lee Reloader Single Stage?

Postby javaduke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:21 am

I'm wondering if Lee CFCD can be used with single stage reloader press (the cheapest one). I have a Lee Pro1000 which is only 3 stage press and I need to crimp my loads. Seating the bullet and crimping doesn't really work well for me, it shaves quite a bit of lead from the bullet and sometimes cases are bulged a bit more than normal. So I thought instead of switching to 4 or 5 stage press I would just buy a cheapest single stage press and use it with crimp die only. What do you think?

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 am

The FCD will work fine in any single stage press. It will contact the standard shellholder properly. I use it occasionally with my challenger press.

prs

Postby prs » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 am

java, you are using lead boolits. The carbide factory crimp die has a final full length resize ring in it that WILL reduce the diameter of your seated boolit. This can contribute to leading and poor accuracy. The final size feature seems to be more appropriate for jacketed bullets and really is not necessary at all unless you are dong something that is bulging your cartridges. Shaving of lead boolits during the combined seat and crimp operation is not uncommon and sometimes can be avoided if the degree of crimp can be reduced. Many people do crimp in an additional operation, including me. But, I usually have that additional station. So, if you are going to crimp as an additional operation; but wish to avoid the final sizing, then you can use the carbide factory crimp die with the carbide ring knocked out of it (not me) or you can take the crimp ring and adjsuter knob out of it and place that in either a spare powder through die or a larger caliber carbide factory crimp die, or you can simply use a standard seat/crimp die with the seating parts removed. With lead boolits, I suggest using just enough crimp to do the job and try to avoid mashing the boolit.

A very handy inexpensive extra press is the Lee Hand Press. Great for depriming or use at the shooting bench.

prs

WyrTwister

Re: Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die + Lee Reloader Single Stag

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

javaduke wrote:I'm wondering if Lee CFCD can be used with single stage reloader press (the cheapest one). I have a Lee Pro1000 which is only 3 stage press and I need to crimp my loads. Seating the bullet and crimping doesn't really work well for me, it shaves quite a bit of lead from the bullet and sometimes cases are bulged a bit more than normal. So I thought instead of switching to 4 or 5 stage press I would just buy a cheapest single stage press and use it with crimp die only. What do you think?

I have not tried it with my
cheap Lee C-Frame press . I have a .45 ACP FCD , but it is install in station # 5 of my LM .

If you are shaving lead , put more flare / bell on the mouth of the brass .

For most of my calibers I load for , as long as the loaded ammo chambers and fires OK , I do not overy worry about the bullet bulging the brass .

God bless
Wyr

Jumping Frog

Re: Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die + Lee Reloader Single Stag

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:56 am

WyrTwister wrote:If you are shaving lead , put more flare / bell on the mouth of the brass .

^^^^^^^^^ This.

prs explained why a FCD is a poor choice for lead bullets and I agree.

for lead bullets, seat/crimp in the traditional die. It works correctly when done correctly -- millions upon millions of cartridges have been loaded that way.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 pm

I had similar problems with lead shaving in the seating die. It happens because the bullet is still moving into the case while the crimpis being applied.

I use the fatory crimp die as instructed with lead bullets for 40 S&W, and 380 Auto. (shot 15,000 fortys in 2011, all of them loaded with the Lee fcd and lead bullets.)

The bullets I use are made by 2 Alpha Bullets. They are hard and very good bullets. I once used some that I got from a friend, they were too soft and did not work well with the fcd. They actually would squeze out of the case neck. Just bad bullets. If you use hard cast bullets it should work very well.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 am

rowe_s wrote:I had similar problems with lead shaving in the seating die. It happens because the bullet is still moving into the case while the crimpis being applied.

Try re-adjusting the die .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”