Lapping

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

Lapping

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:47 pm

My Lee Perfect Powder Measure was effectively non-functional with fine grain ball powder . Such as AA # 2200 .

For that reason , I almost entirely switched to the Lee Disk Measure . It leaked , a little , too . But I could live with the amount . :-(

About six months ago , I read about lapping the PPM . Finally got around to trying it a month or two ago .

This turned out to be more work than I anticipated . That plastic is TOUGH !

I used a past of Ajax abrasive cleaner / powder & water in the cone & reverse cone . I worked the 2 parts back and forth , against each other , for quite some time . I would stop and examine the results , clean it up and re-apply the Ajax .

I finally switched to J B Bore polish , follower by tooth paste .

The parts lay , unassembled , on my work surface for over a month . My cousin visited us & he put it back together , hafter he found all the parts .

We tested it with AA # 2200 . Seems to work OK , now . There is a screw on the side that is used to adjust how tightly the thing fits together .

Seems to work OK , now . Before , if tightened enough to control / prevent leakage , it was too tight to work . Adjusted loose enough to work & it leaked terribly .

I need to test it with AA # 9 , before I issue the final verdict .

Thanks to those that advised me of this fix / modification .

God bless
Wyr

motopic

Postby motopic » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah it works well. The problem is that plastic will still flow from residual stresses after being removed from the mold, so it gets uneven.

I use Turtle Wax Paint Scratch remover paste. Only takes about 30 minutes or so.

I finish up with a nice coat of powdered graphite.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Did the same thing to mine only I used valve lapping compound. Coarse followed by fine and then some graphite. No leaks.

mike

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

Do not think I have any graphite but I think I do have some Moly powder ?

God bless
Wyr

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”