Auto Disk and Unique?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

Reload

Auto Disk and Unique?

Postby Reload » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 am

A few days ago I was working up some .30 Carbine loads for my Ruger Blackhawk. I found a good recipe using 115gr. bullets and 5.5gr Unique with a 6.5gr max load.

I always check the charge on several rounds before actually running the loads. Using Lee's recommendation, I started with the .61 cavity. Not even close. Eventually ended up with the .71. Loads were checked and rechecked. I even recalibrated the scale several times.

I loaded a few rounds each at 5.5, 6, and 6.5 grains to see which one provides the best accuracy. In each case, I ended up one full cc higher than the recommendation. I also tried double disk setups, same result.

I know it's not uncommon to have to use a different cavity than the recommended one, but it's usually an adjustment of one cavity in either direction to yield the correct results. It's been a while since I've loaded Unique and don't recall having this issue. You guys that reload Unique regularly, is this normal?

carload9

Postby carload9 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 am

dont forget the #2 pencil over everything.

Joakim-G_R

Postby Joakim-G_R » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm

what is a #2 pencil?

motopic

Postby motopic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Joakim-G_R wrote:what is a #2 pencil?

powdered graphite.

usually a #2 pencil will be carbon/graphite, common pencil type in the USA.

but some are plastic based, soo.... I just buy a small tube of powdered graphite from a hardware store or homebuilding supply, its usually for keeping locks running smoothly.

carload9

pencil

Postby carload9 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm

i just like the point and the leverage of pressure i can force down in the nooks,crannies,sharpe angles,etc.. I just cant do the lite brush on thing. Sorry, I do the pencil prob more often than others. A fresh layer.
Last edited by carload9 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 am

First I heard of the pencil, but gave it a try and seems to work, mine's too new yet to see any wear.

Like you I wound up using the .71 hole if I'm not mistaken for 5.5 grains of Unique. Really really surprised at how accurate it is with Unique, at least for pistol ammo, +/- .1 grain. For rifle I weight every charge. Wish I'd figured this out years ago.

prs

Re: Auto Disk and Unique?

Postby prs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am

Reload wrote:A few days ago I was working up some .30 Carbine loads for my Ruger Blackhawk. I found a good recipe using 115gr. bullets and 5.5gr Unique with a 6.5gr max load.

I always check the charge on several rounds before actually running the loads. Using Lee's recommendation, I started with the .61 cavity. Not even close. Eventually ended up with the .71. Loads were checked and rechecked. I even recalibrated the scale several times.

I loaded a few rounds each at 5.5, 6, and 6.5 grains to see which one provides the best accuracy. In each case, I ended up one full cc higher than the recommendation. I also tried double disk setups, same result.

I know it's not uncommon to have to use a different cavity than the recommended one, but it's usually an adjustment of one cavity in either direction to yield the correct results. It's been a while since I've loaded Unique and don't recall having this issue. You guys that reload Unique regularly, is this normal?

Unique goes way back to almost the beginning of smokeless powder and in my lifetime of reloading, I can recall three updates in its "recipe" that changed VMD a little. But you report a full cubic centimeter difference from a loading reference? I suppose it was Lee's table and that date is very conservative, but still, a full CC? WOW! I won't rely upon memory to quote which cavity I use to drop 5 and 5.5 grains of Unique. I "think" I am using a cavity that is about 2 steps larger than what Lee's charts specify -- again not sure because I no longer look at such charts. I make a good guess and then bump-up or back off until I get my goal charge. Then I write the CC figure of that cavity for that charge weight right upon the label of that specific keg of Unique. Every lot is potentially a little different, so I always verify.

A recent thread here and a similar one over at Cast Boolits got me to start using a damper in the powder hopper and that really did tighten-up the charge variations of Unique and TrailBoss.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm

If you look at the VMD of a given powder and multiply it by the number grains you want to drop out the powder measure you will get the CC in vol.

If I remember correctly, this is for examle only :

H110 is .0656 and you want to drop 25 grains from your powder measure

0.0656 X 25 = 1.64 CC's

1.64 is the disk you are looking for or the closest to it. In my experience I will go to the next bigger measurement over that to get the correct drop.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Its been a while but I believe the industry standard for powder density is 15%. Soooo 5.5 gr \ .85 = 6.47 grain. Always check your weight when using a diferent batch number of powder. I only had this much varance once.... glad I was checking.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”