Lee Perfect Powder Measure

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Postby rowe_s » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:53 pm

People using extruded powder might want to read this.

This morning I was loading the round my remington 700 VTR shoots the best. That load uses IMR 8208 XBR, it is a fine extruded powder. I was using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure to through charges in the powder pan that were 2 grains light, then set the pan on the Lyman DPS and let it trickle feed the rest of the charge.

When I put the pan on the scale I watched the weights before pushing the button to finish the load. The extreme spread with the Perfect powder measure was 4 tenths grain. Maybe a vibrator would help it throw the same charge.

In the past with ball powder the perfect powder measure and the disk measure threw very consistant loads.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Steve,

When I use my pro auto disk, I look at the VMD of the powder I take that number and multiply that by the number of grains I want to throw and just go up one number on my disk.

I dont know if that helps you or not, but it does real good for me.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Old 454 wrote:Steve,

When I use my pro auto disk, I look at the VMD of the powder I take that number and multiply that by the number of grains I want to throw and just go up one number on my disk.

I dont know if that helps you or not, but it does real good for me.

Thanks Old 454, I follow you. I was just trying to point out that the extruded powder doesnt measure consistantly in these measures. I have a case activated mount for a different kind of measure on order. I will post how it works when I get it. Until then I'll just keep weighing the powder for my serious rifle loads.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes, I would have to agree with Steve. I do weigh every powder load for my "serious" rifle loads. IMHO it kinda defeats the purpose of trying to assemble highly accurate ammunition if you are going to depend on a (anybody's) powder measure to drop a specific charge weight plus or minus a couple tenths. It probably doesn't make much difference at 25 yards or less but at anything over 100 yards it will make a difference and it will get worse from there.

I wonder if using a vibrating motor on the PPM would be of any help in tightening up the drops?

mike

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

I hope to get measured loads that have + or - 1 tenth for my plinking loads. If I can't I'll go back to ball powder. The thing I like about this IMR 8208 XBR is temperature does not seem to afect its performance. Even laying in the sun doesn't show any differance on paper. Haven't got to use it on praire dogs yet, it really gets hot on the SD praire.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 pm

ahh ok your loading for "serious and precise loads" I get you now, yes I agree measure each load for consistency.

I use the old wack O' Moe for loading my 303 brit. one scoop of powder, lol.

This is what I get for poking around with bench rest shooters, way over my head lol

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Old 454 wrote:ahh ok your loading for "serious and precise loads" I get you now, yes I agree measure each load for consistency.

I use the old wack O' Moe for loading my 303 brit. one scoop of powder, lol.

This is what I get for poking around with bench rest shooters, way over my head lol

First highpower I had was a 303 in the early 60s. I think surplus ammo was $7.00 for a box of 400 rounds, might have been less. My brother and I were shooting at a tree in a field that had cattle in it. We got lucky, learned that the old military ammo would go threw the tree trunk we had the target on. Somehow we didn't hit a cow. Typical of my training when I was a kid. I remember when I got my first 22 Dad said to be carefull. I said ok and headed out the door. Sure was different then.

prs

Postby prs » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Welllll, wut th' 'l were cattle doing in a tree?

prs
:lol:

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

"HIGH" grade beef?

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Cows were milling around in the background. (remember the saftey instructions I had.) I don't think any of us kids ever got much more than grazed a little learning all we could about guns. Oh well it was fun. Maybe thats why I take safety so serious now. Because of all the near misses my friends and I made it through.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 am

Not to discourage this interesting off topic ( :roll: ) I thought I drop in a favorite quote of mine by the gun rags writer Rocky Raab.

Rock Raab on Powder measures

"There are several facts and truths about this issue - some of which nobody believes.

One: Most measures are better with one type of powder than another. Be it flake, extruded or spherical, some measure are liable to choke on at least one. It's just the way it is.

Two: Operator technique is at least as important as mechanical factors when it comes to dispensing consistent charge weights.

Three: The water content of the powder changes, and that affects the WEIGHT of a given charge, but not the actual amount of powder IN that charge. So a measure that's set to dispense 50 grains of powder one day may dispense 49 or 51 grains on another day. BUT IT IS STILL DELIVERING THE SAME AMOUNT OF POWDER! If you change the setting to get the "right" weight, you are actually changing the charge.

Four: It is NOT always that vital to get a charge weight down to the exact tenth of a grain. It can be important in very small charges for very small cartridges, but not in most rifle rounds. Instead, what you want to achieve is ?1% of the desired charge weight or less. For a 50-grain charge, that means anything less than a half-grain either side is not only acceptable, but you probably cannot tell the difference on target. (And that's one that hardly anybody believes, but it is true.)

Five: The only way to get exact weights is to - weigh. That means weigh every charge. You can use a trickler, a spoon or even tweezers, but if you insist on getting right to dead-nuts on, that's the only, uh...way. Or get a digital dispenser which does the weighing for you. (But read #4 again. Really.")Rocky Raab

I have found that Rocky speaks the truth and as he said nobody believes it but the #4 statement is TRUE!

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Well daBoone, as Rocky said, I don't think these fellas believe number 4 either.........if you believe number 3 then number 4 makes more sense...I do because I've done the homework....

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”