Loading case feeder

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

Loading case feeder

Postby rowe_s » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 pm

When loading the case feeder on the Loadmaster I turn the tubes 1/8th turn so the cases will be setting evenly in all four tubes when full.

Before turning it to the feeding position I look to make sure the cases in all 4 tubes are setting even at the top. If they are not level there is another caliber case in the tube. This is a easy time to remove the odd case as compared to having it jam when cycling the press.

My precleaning case inspection today was pretty sloppy. I cycled about 500 40 S&W through to decap them this afternoon, I found 5 9mm cases in the tubes using the method listed above. Just a small step to avoid a jam.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:06 pm

That's a good idea even though it does not apply to me. I decap, run the cases thru 3 eight minute cycles in the Ultrasonic cleaner, dry over night and then tumble 2 - 4 hours in the vibratory cleaner. Anal I know, but I like clean brass. Then the brass is sorted into plastic ammo boxes head up so I can look at the head stamp and it is easy to spot an odd caliber case at that time.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:14 am

Ahhhh, but what about those pesky 9mm cases that nest inside .45 ACP cases? I don't remember if that combination is longer than the .45 cases by themselves.

carload9

decap?

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:45 am

LLM, I decap on single stage station in another place. Any brass near my llm is decap/SScleaned first. All clean below carrier.

The dillon's (super 1050) design cant get dirty so when i do 380acp on it l wash brass/"NO" decapping. Even clean brass in water and chemicals (lemi-shine) still has some flakes coming off.

When your ss pins are traveling at 700 RPM for my 380 acp's, not much flakes (but some) or primer powder left in cleaned brass primer area. I think my machine peens the brass a lil' too. These type of ss water washer's are used in jewelry industry, mines home-made from great youtube l found from back in the 80's i found and made one.

I just like clean brass, it has bothing to do with my "anal stage" of my childhood life or freak @$$ Dr. Sig freud.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:22 pm

darwin wrote:Ahhhh, but what about those pesky 9mm cases that nest inside .45 ACP cases? I don't remember if that combination is longer than the .45 cases by themselves.

Yeh Darwin, it's 40 that I am loading the 9s nest in the 40s and are too long. Same happens with 40 nesting in the 45s, I did have one of those in the bunch I mentioned above.

In the past I have caught a couple 32s in the 380s when I am running those.

rowe_s

Re: decap?

Postby rowe_s » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 pm

carload9 wrote:LLM, I decap on single stage station in another place. Any brass near my llm is decap/SScleaned first.

A friend of mine got a tumbler, and he said stainless pins.
These stainless pins don't look like stainless, they look like steel and he picks them up with a magnet.

So I figure it's not stainless pins that he has. The brass also looks like it has been peened with steel. just dirty looking.

So CL9 what is your opinion? I don't think he has stainless media.

Steve

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Some alloys of SS are magnetic. And some alloys of SS will also develop surface rust.

mike

carload9

steve

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 pm

he should hav bought @ midwayusa.com Aint cheap stuff.

rowe_s

Re: steve

Postby rowe_s » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:33 pm

carload9 wrote:he should hav bought @ midwayusa.com Aint cheap stuff.

Then what he is using is not stainless?

rowe_s

Re: steve

Postby rowe_s » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 pm

rowe_s wrote:
carload9 wrote:he should hav bought @ midwayusa.com Aint cheap stuff.

Then what he is using is not stainless?

Never mind CL9, I did some research. The problem is.... he is not using soap and water.

carload9

steve

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 pm

The pins are a lil' black and dirty water for a load or two, tell him to use lemi-shine from walmart and a squirt of dawn.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm

I bought a bunch of 45 acp brass that had been cleaned in ss media and never again. The brass looks like it had been shot peened. Don't know if he didn't have liquid with it or not, but if that's the way it comes out, it ain't for me. Looked like sh-t.

carload9

yep

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:22 pm

ya have to have water and dawn/lemi-shine or it prob would look terrible.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:12 am

I think it must be a matter also of not leaving the brass in too long. I've also gotten some 223 brass that looked like the "finish" was gone, all splotchy, don't know, don't use the system, too impatient to wait for it to dry.

Just another note, I recently bought 1000 45acp and 2200 223 rounds of loaded ammo for the components from a guy that loaded it after cleaning with a sonic cleaner, ie liquid cleaning system. He wasn't sure of the loading so sold it for components only. Has been loaded since Feb 2013.
When I pulled the bullets, most all had the powder stuck together in the case and the powder was stuck to the cases and the bullet. I fired some of the empty 223 cases and out of 15 only 4 went off. He must of not let any of the cases dry. Never have seen that many that were that way before.
Just something to think about if you use the liquid cleaning system, IF, that was the problem. I can't think of anything else that would cause that problem. Any other thoughts???

carload9

ml

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:12 am

LMAO, ya have to have brain, common sense, concentration, "follow directions", be a member here and cast boolits to be a reloader. Dillon peeps dont even have a forum. Just one on dillons home site thats dead. Least we have help here.

The lemi-shine puts sparkle in and cuts carbon loose. Dawn cuts the oils. When you get shippment from midway, the stainless will turn water black for couple runs, Just pour some of dirty water off then put more hot water in. "l use hot water". After pins are shiny l can wash up to 3 batches with brass with same water. Lay out on huge towel in spare room. I keep 1/3 to 1/2 of a shoebox ahead washed so my brass l just washed can lay there for couple days. Some times, next morning l put brass in collender and set over heat vent.

Below: vid, l love my homemade jewelry washer l made from youtube that turns SS pins at 700 RPM. Plus you can see your brass and pick it up. Quicker than thumblers tumbler. I built the smaller one but have another motor to build larger one. The rare earth magnets on my bigger one are 100$ from amazing magnets. Ray gave me the motor. I prob shoot more than anyone on this forum, less ya shoot almost every day. Always clean brass around. Jims have even started opening indoor range on sundays. If ya build one l have the instruction video of how too.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k51 ... 7a387d.mp4

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”