Powder Through Expanding Dies ?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

tlen

Powder Through Expanding Dies ?

Postby tlen » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I plan on loading .357 mag and .38 special using RCBS dies and a Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure.
Why are there Powder Through Expanding Dies for both .357 mag and .38 special ? Can I get away with only one Powder Through Die ? If so, which one ?

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 am

Yes you can but it may add an extra step depending on the bullet you use. Not a big deal if you have a 4 hole turret press as the RCBS die set has an expander.

The Lee 38/357 powder expander die is only about 12 bucks at Midway. So if your just going for the 38/357 it might make life easier. I think the rifle charging die would cost about the same.

"Lee Rifle Charging Die charges .... cases when used with the Auto Disk Powder Measure or Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure. It works the same as the pistol powder through expanding die, except it doesn't expand the case mouth. Powder Through Expanding Die charges the case while expanding the case mouth. Used with powder funnel adapter or the Auto Disk or Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure"

erle

Postby erle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Order another powder thru expanding die from Titan for $ 11.18 & save yourself the trouble of having to readjust every time you switch calibers.

Erle

carload9

hey

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:21 pm

l machined expander nipple off my Lee powder hopper, All it does is drop powder in any pistol brass.

1)I order the powder thru expander, throw top screw-in piece out.
2)Order extra finger adjust to screw in top die @ station 2.
3)So easy to fine tune expansion in station 2.

pic below:

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”