Picked up and old Lee Fixxer-Upper

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

SauceNM

Picked up and old Lee Fixxer-Upper

Postby SauceNM » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:48 pm

I picked up a broken Single Stage Reloading press. It appears to be older than anything they now offer. The link appears to be broken and I'm wondering if parts from a newer press might work.

The broken part is shown in the first picture:

http://tinyurl.com/LeeSingleStage2
http://tinyurl.com/LeeSingleStage

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Looks like the Breech Lock Challenger linkages? If you contacted Lee they could offer some advice.

SauceNM

Postby SauceNM » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Thanks for your response.
I've sent Lee Precision a request for parts info. It also looks like all their current Single Stage presses use a steel connecting link that may work.
I have a Loadmaster but want to use this single stage press to trim .223 cases. If nothing else maybe I could get this part welded?

SauceNM

Postby SauceNM » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 am

The press in question Is a Lee Challenger press which was discontinued in 2006. Fortunately new and improved parts from the Breech Lock Challenger Press are on the way and should be here today. The link that was broken will be replaced with a newer steel design.
I plan on using this press for trimming with the Lee case trimmer and swaging the crimp out of primer pockets on .223 brass.
The more I use Lee Equipment, the more I like it and LOVE their support, even of older gear.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:42 am

SauceNM wrote:The press in question Is a Lee Challenger press which was discontinued in 2006. Fortunately new and improved parts from the Breech Lock Challenger Press are on the way and should be here today. The link that was broken will be replaced with a newer steel design.
I plan on using this press for trimming with the Lee case trimmer and swaging the crimp out of primer pockets on .223 brass.
The more I use Lee Equipment, the more I like it and LOVE their support, even of older gear.

Good for you, glad you're getting it set up to use. I bought one of Lee's single stage kits that came with the "newer" model Challenger press for a young friend of mine several years back and it had steel linkage. Pretty much like the Classic Cast press. When we set it up I remember thinking that it was a pretty darn nice little press. We did size a few 06' and 45-70 cases with it that day and it worked with zero problems and no complaints. I have read of experiences from some with the "older" models of breaking the linkage and replacing with the new steel links that come with the new stuff. I've also had good product support from Lee when needed, however LOVE would be a bit to strong an adjective to describe that. I love my family, close friends, and my dogs, other things are just varying degrees of "like"... :D

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:41 am

Horseman wrote:I love my family, close friends, and my dogs, other things are just varying degrees of "like"... :D

I don't see you horses listed, is there a change of heart here or is the snow so deep you can't find them? :lol:

That is a good press and worth the repair. I'd set it up as a dedicated depriming or sizing station.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am

daboone wrote:
Horseman wrote:I love my family, close friends, and my dogs, other things are just varying degrees of "like"... :D

I don't see you horses listed, is there a change of heart here or is the snow so deep you can't find them? :lol:

That is a good press and worth the repair. I'd set it up as a dedicated depriming or sizing station.

LOL...DB you crack me up, but being that this is not a horse forum.. :lol: I'll just say, the snow's gone, weather has been just great, and (to me) it's hard to "love" an 1100 pound animal with a brain the size of a walnut. :D

SauceNM

Postby SauceNM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Horseman
Repair parts should arrive today. I will use this press mostly for swaging .223 primer pockets and trimming with the Lee Quick Trim. Then all other reloading functions will be done on the Loadmaster. Depriming and sizing is also being done on the Loadmaster.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 pm

SauceNM wrote:Horseman
Repair parts should arrive today. I will use this press mostly for swaging .223 primer pockets and trimming with the Lee Quick Trim. Then all other reloading functions will be done on the Loadmaster. Depriming and sizing is also being done on the Loadmaster.

It should work well for that plus many other "chores" you will find for it to do. I've mostly used a single stage for the same pocket swaging job you mention, although I do have a power unit that I've also used. Not sure which is easier/better. Since I started cleaning my brass with pins I now deprime all my brass first using the Load master press. As much as I hate to admit it, I got the idea from a thread started by CL9.... 8)

SauceNM

Postby SauceNM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Parts for old Lee Press arrived and are installed. I put it to work swaging crimps out of .223 brass, using the RCBS Combo-2 Swager. Worked great!
I then loaded 20 rounds to check the difference. Seems like the primers almost go in too easy now on the Loadmaster.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”