Upgrading old round tray Hand Primer

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

SauceNM

Upgrading old round tray Hand Primer

Postby SauceNM » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 am

I have an old hand primer that I picked up and would like to know if parts from the newer hand primer will fit?
Mine has the one piece round tray but the lever is more flat and has a rectangular end on it ( put my thumb on that part when using it).
I'd like to know if the new clear plastic parts that accept the new rectangular primer trays will fit?
I already have the new fold-able square primer trays. It looks like the metal base is pretty much the same thru most of the Lee hand primers so hard to know the model of my hand primer.

erle

Postby erle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm

If by "old" you mean the first hand primer Lee manufactured, then the answer is no. It is called the "Auto Prime" & has been discontinued. I have two that I have used for years.

Then Lee came out with a model called "Auto Prime XR" & later a model called "ERGO Prime." You cannot directly use the new trays on these either but Lee makes an adapter, or update kit, which will allow the square folding trays to be used on either of these models.

Since yours has the "round tray" it is probably the 1st Auto Prime that Lee made. I believe the XR & ERGO models both had square trays (that did not fold). If it is the original model, you can return it to Lee & they will sell you one of their latest models, including the bench model, for half price.

Erle
Last edited by erle on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chickenthief

Postby Chickenthief » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:34 pm

erle wrote:If by "old" you mean the first hand primer Lee manufactured, then the answer is no. It is called the "Auto Prime" & has been discontinued. I have two that I have used for years.

Then Lee came out with a model called "Auto Prime XR" & later a model called "ERGO Prime." You cannot directly use the new trays on these either but Lee makes an adapter, or update kit, which will allow the square folding trays to be used of either of these models.

Since yours has the "round tray" it is probably the 1st Auto Prime that Lee made. I believe the XR & ERGO models both had square trays (that did not fold). If it is the original model, you can return it to Lee & they will sell you one of their latest models, including the bench model, for half price.

Erle

Dont you dare!
There are many people who will pay (wery) good money for the old ones.
I have two and love them and i'm looking for a spare (just in case).

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:31 am

Chickenthief wrote:Dont you dare!
There are many people who will pay (wery) good money for the old ones.
I have two and love them and i'm looking for a spare (just in case).

Yep, IMO the old round trays are superior for my "old" stuff. I need them for now obsolete Auto Prime II. Fortunately I have 6 of these round trays in my stash box and they are not for sale.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”