Cleaning up the workbench

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

The German

Cleaning up the workbench

Postby The German » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I just wanted to share some ideas with you regarding the die set holder for the Loadmaster and the classic turret press. I got tired of having them flying around on the bench and created a holder for the pegboard and put my 3D-printer to use again... They turned out much better than I thought and I took the design to Lee to see if they were interested in adding it to their accessories collection, but cost for mass producing them would be prohibitive. John Lee pointed me towards this forum and I am sharing the designs now to be used for any non-commercial purpose. If you have a 3D-printer or know somebody who can print it for you, the needed files can be downloaded at the thingiverse website (all at no cost).

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1669537
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1667756

Here some pics on how they look like on the bench/pegboard

Enjoy!
Tom

Horseman

Re: Cleaning up the workbench

Postby Horseman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 pm

I have to say those are absolutely fine looking. I know nothing of 3D printing or how to go about doing anything like that but certainly would like to see something like that available for sale. So much cleaner and better looking than drilling holes in a 1x6 board or plumbing pipe to set the die plates on. Very, very nice.

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 am

Thanks for starting this topic.

Interestingly I too am in the middle of "cleaning up my benches. As a result of downsizing from 5 benches to 3 benches and still having a lifetime collection of to much stuff (that I can't live without) I needed to utilize available space. I discovered these pegboard bin on Amazon. 4 small and 4 medium size bins and the easy install brackets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001952CQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sure I'm not alone in having collections of small but important parts. These bins organize and segregate them for useful easy to access use.

I hope this topic will grow with more examples of way to better organize reloading benches.

The German

Postby The German » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 am

Daboone - the bins are a great idea too, will check them out and get a few myself. I also like the idea with the power strip, I still have an extension cord laying around...

Horseman - the 3D-printing thing is pretty fun, but only of you like tinkering with things. Clogging of the print nozzle, finding the right temperature and speed for the plastic you are using takes a bit of time - and the prints take a long time when you print in a fine quality (the holders take about 4 hours, larger pieces like an AR-15 lower can take up to 60 hours). My printer is currently "in repair", otherwise I would have offered to print a few and sell them at cost. I was not planning on it, but if anybody is interested, I could print a few once the printer is up and running again...

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:51 am

The German wrote:Daboone - the bins are a great idea too, will check them out and get a few myself. I also like the idea with the power strip, I still have an extension cord laying around...

Horseman - the 3D-printing thing is pretty fun, but only of you like tinkering with things. Clogging of the print nozzle, finding the right temperature and speed for the plastic you are using takes a bit of time - and the prints take a long time when you print in a fine quality (the holders take about 4 hours, larger pieces like an AR-15 lower can take up to 60 hours). My printer is currently "in repair", otherwise I would have offered to print a few and sell them at cost. I was not planning on it, but if anybody is interested, I could print a few once the printer is up and running again...

I'd be willing to wager you could sell them as fast as you could produce them if the cost wasn't prohibitive. And I'm not sure what that figure might be but at 4 man hours per plus materiel it may be a bit high for most consumers. Would I be interested? you bet.

The German

Postby The German » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Horseman, if the majority of the reloaders are as concerned about workbench organization as I was in the last 20 years, I would probably never sell one :lol: Anyhow, I sent you a personal message - I estimate cost for them (just the plastic) around $7-$9 (the printing software gives me a more accurate no., I will check next time I can print one again) and it also depends on the cost of plastic I use.

The man hours that go into this are minimal - the printer does all the work on his own after he was fed the design file.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Of course, there is always this for those of us without 3D printers.

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Nice. I like the doors for keeping the dust out.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:40 pm

GhostlyOne wrote:Of course, there is always this for those of us without 3D printers.

Nice gob GhostlyOne.

The German

Postby The German » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Very nice!

GhostlyOne wrote:Of course, there is always this for those of us without 3D printers.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”