Custom dies?

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Custom dies?

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Has anyone ever had Lee make them a custom seating die stem?

I occasionally load Berry's plated semi-wadcutters in .45 ACP. The standard seating die gets the job done, but it can be troublesome so I decided to take the plunge. Lee only makes a custom seating plug, they don't sell a custom die, so in order to have a die always set up for the SWC ammo I'm buying a spare seating die, into which I'll install the custom seating plug.

Lead time for a custom seating plug is 4 weeks, so I'm just wondering if I should be my hopes up, or be prepared for a disappoitment when the thing finally arrives.

daboone

Re: Custom dies?

Postby daboone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

Not the answer your looking for but I'll chime in anyway. Because the ogive profile (of any die manufacture) never seem to fit 99% of my cast bullets I just order extra seating stems for that seating die. Using a little epoxy putty on the stem, grease the nose of bullet and form your own custom fit. I have some that have been working for many years but occasionally the epoxy cracks and has to be replaced.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm

I do the same thing but I use Hot Glue.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am

The new stem, along with a spare seating die, arrived yesterday. The die isn't really profiled to the exact shape of the Berry's semi-wadcutter bullet. Basically, Lee just drilled out the interior of the seating plug so that the outer perimeter bears on the shoulder of the SWC bullet, rather than the standard plug bearing on the nose. I think it will work well, but I have to load up a bunch of round-nose for a class before I can change over and load SWCs.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”