Lee Bulge Buster Kit

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

at_liberty

Postby at_liberty » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:50 am

Hawkmoon wrote:The Lee web site offers the Bulge Buster Kit for .380 ACP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .45 Win Mag, 10mm, .41 AE, and .45 GAP.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog ... uster.html

I stand corrected and better informed. It should work for any straight-walled caliber case, but it has been stated why .45 ACP is not one of them, given its rim that is larger than the case body by .004.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:05 am

So then why does Lee sell it for the .45 Auto?

Has anyone actually used the Bulge Buster on .45 Auto cases? If so, how has it been working?

noylj

Postby noylj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 am

Do the cases have to be sized before they are used in the "Bulge Buster?"
Do the cases enter the FCD head first? Does the $25 Lee press actually work for this job? I tried taking a sized case, applying case lube, and attempted to push the case through the FCD using a wooden dowel. The case would not enter the FCD head first and, when I tried case mouth firt, it stopped when it his the case head web.
Seems to me that the only "correct" way to iron out the bulge is to go through the die head first, otherwise you may simply create a wrinkle where the case web starts.

Swing Fixer

Postby Swing Fixer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Alfter cleaning, I put my .40 cases thru the buldge buster before loading them in my loadmaster. Haven't had a single problem and every one fits perfectly into a .40 Cartridge guage after loading.

My Buldge buster came with a metal dowel that fits in the case retainer on your press that is designed to push the case thru open end first. I bought the C-frame single stage Lee press to be used JUST for buldge busting my .40S&W cases....works great for me.

noylj

Postby noylj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I wish the "pusher" was longer so the brass would be "sized" from the case head first.

Swing Fixer

Postby Swing Fixer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm

noylj wrote:I wish the "pusher" was longer so the brass would be "sized" from the case head first.

I actually remember seeing a video on you tube where someone made a pusher and pushed them in that way. Ithink what they ended up using was a 9MM case with a wooden dowel inside it and then compressed/hammered the case around the dowl. Then used this to push the case thru the buldge buster head first...let me see if I can find the video.

EDIT: Found it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBzQi1u ... re=related

noylj

Postby noylj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Swingfixer: Thanks. I'll have to try that.

Swing Fixer

Postby Swing Fixer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Yep! Let me know how it goes, I've just been putting them thru mouth first.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:52 pm

If your run them through head first, keep a close eye on case lenghth as it may need to be trimmed if you stretch it. I've had no problems running 40S&W mouth first, empty without sizing. The carbide FCD is a bit larger in diameter than the regular full lenght sizer, but when re-loading there seems to be no residual area at the case head end that will not chamber.

prs

Swing Fixer

Postby Swing Fixer » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

prs wrote:If your run them through head first, keep a close eye on case lenghth as it may need to be trimmed if you stretch it. I've had no problems running 40S&W mouth first, empty without sizing. The carbide FCD is a bit larger in diameter than the regular full lenght sizer, but when re-loading there seems to be no residual area at the case head end that will not chamber.

prs

I had wondered about that when I started loading my .40 cases. I thought there would be the possibility of stretching the case if they went in head first. This is probalby the main reason I went with mouth first....that and the fact that this is the way Lee designed their system.

curlysir

Postby curlysir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Swing Fixer wrote:Alfter cleaning, I put my .40 cases thru the buldge buster before loading them in my loadmaster. Haven't had a single problem and every one fits perfectly into a .40 Cartridge guage after loading.

My Buldge buster came with a metal dowel that fits in the case retainer on your press that is designed to push the case thru open end first. I bought the C-frame single stage Lee press to be used JUST for buldge busting my .40S&W cases....works great for me.

This is exactly what I do with .40 cases with the same results. Didn't see the part about sized cases.

Use my Lee Turret Press for this, need to get a single stage Reloader Press and use it exclusively for this. Just finished a run of all my .40 case getting ready for my Winter reloading.
Last edited by curlysir on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnslngr

Postby gnslngr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:36 pm

I do this with both my .40 Short & Wimpy as well as my 10mm Auto. I get a lot of range pickup brass fired from a lot of Glocks. Never had an issue with a case after running it through the bulge buster.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:48 am

Jusst used the bulge buster for the first time on 40's and have run them through both sized first and also not sized. Case mouth thru first as it is designed to be used. Works great, had a bunch of Geco cases that wouldn't go in the case gtauge, although they would chamber w/o a problem in my pistol before sizing. Some went thru the bulge buster(40sw fcd) pretty tight but it works great. I run them thru a sizing die in #1 on the LM anyway so guess they don't need to be sized first to bulge bust.

carload9

buldgemaster

Postby carload9 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Re-born Lee buldge-buster kit. Its a 9 makorov punch thru die. There must be a reason Lee sends mak instead of luger size die. I did call to order.

TAKES TO MUCH FORCE FOR PRESS SO I BOUGHT ARBOR PRESS AT HARBOR FREIGHT. Mak is 2000ths smaller than luger, but thats what lee sent me. I've been BB'ing 2 years. Its not used by many but l enjoy my shop and mashing brass.

Still gotta get wade to machine me a die holder, but it works good for now. Just dont let die move.

That youtube up above will put alot of wear on his LLM. Nines are the worst. Iam liking the darwin bucket and the 2000ths smaller push thru die. It sizes thick brass rim base on 9's good.

You see the darwin bucket: 5 gallon bucket, the rubber bucket seal in lid is holding T-shirt.

l love preping brass, l love this new set-up and l will keep perfecting it.

carload9

9's

Postby carload9 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 am

9 specs can go as low as 0.384.

All mine are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWynqM41p8

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”