Perfect Powder Measure Fix

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:40 pm

at_liberty wrote:I am not a basher, but I have to admit this seems like finishing the factory's job or pointing out that plastic is not the best material.

Compare the price of the Lee Perfect Powder Measure to the similar-in-function devices from Hornady or RCBS. Of course plastic isn't the best material, bt it allows Lee to sell a device that works pretty well for most people for a price significantly less than anyone else.

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:00 pm

I've got a Lymans 55, Belling and Mull, Harrell Schuetzen, dippers, and the PPM with no fix, and I wouldn't claim any of them are PERFECT. However for specific powders they ARE. Each will continue to have a home on my bench.

Excluded from this list is Lee's auto disk pro..... I have several disk modified to make it near perfect for it's expectation on the LM.

at_liberty

Postby at_liberty » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 am

Hawkmoon wrote:
at_liberty wrote:I am not a basher, but I have to admit this seems like finishing the factory's job or pointing out that plastic is not the best material.

Compare the price of the Lee Perfect Powder Measure to the similar-in-function devices from Hornady or RCBS. Of course plastic isn't the best material, bt it allows Lee to sell a device that works pretty well for most people for a price significantly less than anyone else.

I am not an apologist either. The thing needs to work.

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

at_liberty wrote:I am not an apologist either. The thing needs to work.

Get over it. LEE's products are like Ruger's guns more of a Do It Yourself KIT then a completed item.
Why does it come assembled? It's easier to make sure all the parts are there that way.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Froznone wrote:
I am going to make a movie on the procedure. The job is easy, but takes time; and it's necessary to keep everything round, so technique is important.

I'm working on an adapter to mate the PPM to the LM, allowing automatic operation.

I'm interested in seeing your video. Can you buy this part from Lee? Maybe you could buy some, fix them and sell them here......

I'm also interested in seeing your adapter.

Thanks for posting your fix.

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Darwin,

Lee makes an adapter "#90273 Lee Universal Charging Die"
It has a few issues; foremost is that it doesn't expand the case mouth so it doesn't work well in the LM. I suppose you could expand and prime in the same station. Station 3 could then drop powder only. I'd recommend drilling a hole in the top of the expander plug!

Better would be a piece that goes in the top of the normal expander die, like the AutoDisk uses. The problem is getting the 120º rotation needed by the PPM in only ~ 3/8" of ram movement.

at_liberty

Postby at_liberty » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:

I really doubt it was Lee's intention to have uneven surfaces on the mating conical parts. My conjecture is that there is an issue in production of the plastic parts. That leaves the owner with a virtual machining operation to do, wearing in the parts artificially with abrasives or tolerating significant powder leaking and binding for a time. I tried two of them, switching powders, etc., and wrote the device off as nonsense. That's some time ago and the point at which I went to a turret and the Auto Disk Powder Measure. The turret is now retired for a progressive, but the powder measure is going strong and is impressive in its measure consistency. I am quite attached to the rest of my red stuff and will defend anything that works and is worth what it cost.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”