New to this board, and New to reloading

This forum is for Lee Precision equipment that does not fit in the other forums

Moderator: darwin

oldfella

New to this board, and New to reloading

Postby oldfella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi, I'm known as "Oldfella" - and for good reason. Actually I haven't yet started reloading, but I'm seriously thinking about it. First I have to decide which of the Lee Presses best suit my needs, as well as all the paraphernalia needed to start reloading - I plan to reload for .38 Special and .44 Special. I don't shoot much these days, but I kinda like the Lee Pro 1000, as it does most of the functions by itself; on the other hand, as Darwin suggests, maybe I should settle for the Turret Press. What do you all think? Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella) http://proguns.proboards.com

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Before I get into the press choice, I have to say "WELCOME"

You'll need a reloading manual and some scales. I found a new digital scale that is MUCH easier to use than balance scales. I think I discussed it earlier, one way or another I'll post a link for you to find it.

As for presses, I think your choices are a turret, the Pro1000 or the Loadmaster. If you don't shoot a lot, the turret will probably work just fine for you. It's a lot simpler to learn to use and to actually use than the progressive presses. You can use it as a single stage press, too, if you wanted.

The Pro1000 is a 3 hole press, so you can't use a Factory Crimp Die with it - the Factory Crimp Die puts a taper crimp on your ammo which is pretty foolproof for auto pistols.

The Load Master has 5 stations, so you can use 4 dies and the 5th station is for priming. It's the most complicated of the bunch.

Here's a link for their turret presses - I don't know what the differences are between the standard and classic presses.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1289159631.1652=/html/catalog/turretpress.html#ClassicTurretPress

oldfella

Postby oldfella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Hmm - Maybe I should go for the 4-Hole Deluxe Reloading Kit #90928 (?)

Pete

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Wait for others to weigh in.

I guess if you want to add the automatic primer feeder later, you'd want the classic kit - or you can add the upgrade which is $40 - basically the difference in price between the turret and classic turret press. And a $10 riser for the powder measure.

The way the basic turret priming works is you place a primer in a little cup thing. It's not THAT hard, but most people are lazy. :D

I'm not up to speed on the turrt presses. I started out with one, but haven't really used it since I got my Load Master.

Once you decide what you want, check MidwayUSA, Kempf's, etc for the best price.

motopic

Postby motopic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi and welcome.

Lee turret names are confusing.

The Lee Classic Turret is the NEW one. It has a larger ram diameter, catches the primers thru the bottom of the ram, and has a larger stroke allowing for larger cases to use auto-indexing.

The Lee Turret is the OLDER one, the same frame and setup as the Lee PRO 1000 uses. The primers shoot out the side and are captured in the base. This means they often miss, and you have to remove the press to clean out the old primers. The stroke is shorter, as I found .308 has to use manual index.

Both use the same 4 hole turrets.

I have the Lee Turret because I needed to use the RCBS primer pocket swager tool. And it fit the smaller ram better.

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 pm

oldfella wrote:Hmm - Maybe I should go for the 4-Hole Deluxe Reloading Kit #90928 (?)Pete

I am a ornery opinionated old guy who thinks the turret kit is a VERY good idea. If you really decide to get started in reloading you will never regret having a turret press on your bench. Even if you decide to go with a progressive press later you will always find a simpler press is a very useful. It also a much smarter way to start reloading. Because I'm so opinionated I would even suggest you start with a single stage, but that me and I'm old and ornery! :wink:

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm

One can use the turret at a single stage - just remove the indexer rod and there you go! And you change dies be simply rotating the turret.

zuke

Postby zuke » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Welcome to the neighbourhood!
I'd go with a Classic Turret with the index feature removed till you get use to it.
I have a Turret with no provision for the auto feature and love it!
I use it for all my rifle load's.

oldfella

Postby oldfella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm

motopic wrote:Hi and welcome.

Lee turret names are confusing.

The Lee Classic Turret is the NEW one. It has a larger ram diameter, catches the primers thru the bottom of the ram, and has a larger stroke allowing for larger cases to use auto-indexing.

The Lee Turret is the OLDER one, the same frame and setup as the Lee PRO 1000 uses. The primers shoot out the side and are captured in the base. This means they often miss, and you have to remove the press to clean out the old primers. The stroke is shorter, as I found .308 has to use manual index.

Both use the same 4 hole turrets.

I have the Lee Turret because I needed to use the RCBS primer pocket swager tool. And it fit the smaller ram better.

Motopic - Thank you for un-confusing, I thought it was just me. I wish Lee had a ready to use kit, at an inviting price. Now I'll have to figure out what all need to get started :roll:

Pete

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Here's my thoughts.

Get the classic turret press $95

Pro auto powder measure $34

Get two turrets - one for each caliber $13 each

Get two four die pistol die sets $37 each

Prices are from MidwayUSA.

Buy a reloading manual. Lee isn't the best one to buy. It's load data is not terribly thorough. A reloading manual is more than just the actual data - they have articles that teach you about reloading in them, too.

With this setup, each round will require 4 pulls of the handle - and you place each primer in place manually - not hard at all, really.

I think you should be able to load 150 - 200 rounds per hour easily. And it's a low stress operation.

If you need to save a little money, just buy one turret, but you'll have to reset the dies every time you change calibers.

Later on, if you want to speed things up a bit, get a safety prime setup ($21 for both small and large primers) and you'll need an extension for the powder measure to raise it up - $7.

I'm not sure if the shellholders come with a die set or if you need to buy those separately.

As I've said, I'm no expert on turret presses. Wait for others to give their advice.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1289159631.1652=/html/catalog/turretpress.html#ClassicTurretPress

Read the reviews.

Oh, here are the digital scales I bought. $40.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=713049

The Lee scales are VERY accurate, but kind of tricky to use. Luckily, you don't have to weigh charges a lot. I weigh to get the right opening in the measure's disk and don't worry about it after that.
Last edited by darwin on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfella

Postby oldfella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Sounds good to me - I'll prepare a list using your suggestions, and see what that will cost. I still would like to "automate" the process a bit. Keep'em coming, folks. Tnahks.

Pete

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I just looked and a Pro1000 comes with the powder measure AND a set of dies for $160.

And a Load Master with the powder measure and dies for $229. I know, I'm not helping...... :D

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 pm

If your not shooting a lot, I suggest the Classic Turret Press. I really enjoy mine. Easy to use. Check this set up.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?pag ... &Itemid=41

City waterman

oldfella

Postby oldfella » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for the link,Citywaterman.

Pete

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:56 pm

darwin wrote:One can use the turret at a single stage - just remove the indexer rod and there you go! And you change dies be simply rotating the turret.

You don't even have to remove the indexer rod. The Turret Press advances the turret when the handle reaches the very top of the return stroke. If you don't want to advance the turret -- just short stroke it.

Return to “All other Lee Equipment discussion”