Berry's bullets - load data

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Berry's bullets - load data

Postby Hawkmoon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I've been loading Berry's plated bullets for many years, ever since I first ventured into reloading to reduce my cost of shooting. I'm not in a situation where I can undertake casting my own bullets, plus the indoor range where I shoot is an older facility with a ventilation system that's not exactly state-of-the-art. So the less lead I put in the air, the better. Berry's plated bullets are encased in copper all around, including the base of the bullets, so that's a definite plus.

But ... Berry's doesn't publish load data for their bullets. Their advice if you ask them is to use mid-range loads for lead bullets. When I tried that, the velocities I got (checked with a chronograph) were FAR less than what the load data suggested I should be getting. For the .45 ACP 230-grain plated round nose I shoot most, I adjusted my load and I've been going merrily along for years.

The problem remains, if you try a different Berry's bullet, or move to a different caliber, where do you start? I discovered today that Western Powders has a loading data book that's available on-line, and they provide load data in most calibers for Berry's plated bullets.

Of course, I use Winchester 231 powder, which isn't made by Western. But Western makes Ramshot powders, and two different burn rate charts show Ramshop Zip as being either the same (one chart) or very nearly the same (the other chart) as Winchester 231, so the load data from Western Powders can be used as a guide for choosing a starting point if you want to use Berry's plated bullets.

Link to the loading data book: http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploa ... _Web-1.pdf

They also have a powder burn rate chart, which you can use to see if one of their powders is the same burn rate as what you use: http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploa ... _rates.pdf

darwin
Site Admin

Re: Berry's bullets - load data

Postby darwin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

I looked up loads for lead and plated bullets and split the difference. I had a chronograph at the time, so I could check and adjust if necessary.

I later shot the chronograph with my AK47. Accidentally, of course.

Return to “Odds and Ends”