hi-tek coatings

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey CL; I find it interesting that both the Keltec and the Beretta slug the same diameter. Also, do you size the boolit AFTER the HT Coating and not before the Coating?
Reason I ask, is because the Ruger LCP I have slugs at .355. I thought all Lead boolits should be sized 1-2 thousands over. Am I wrong?

carload9

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:22 pm

those are steves pistols. You can buy sizer

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Sparky45 wrote:Hey CL; I find it interesting that both the Keltec and the Beretta slug the same diameter. Also, do you size the boolit AFTER the HT Coating and not before the Coating?
Reason I ask, is because the Ruger LCP I have slugs at .355. I thought all Lead boolits should be sized 1-2 thousands over. Am I wrong?

Hi Sparky, I haven't sluged the barrels, I agree better performance can be reached with the propper sized bullet. But for my pistol shooting close seems to work out good enough. And even the kel-tec does pretty well on the steel plates. With no more than it gives me to hold on to, it can out shoot me. But I find 3 yards at man size silhouettes is more what the Kel-Tec is best at.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Well, my real intent in asking CL about the sizing was to better understand whether he was sizing to .355 before or after the HT coating. Right now I cast pretty much just cast for my 38/357 and 45ACP in pistol. I've been using the traditional methods of lubing/sizing with my Lee sizing kit or my Lyman 4500. As such, with a slugged barrel measuring .357 (my 38/357) I size to .358. They work flawlessly without Leading. Now with the HT system I want to treat the cast boolit as I would a jacketed bullet, that is to say I would like to size to .356~.357. That would allow me to use the Hornady bulletfeeder Dies I have for 38/357 and 45ACP without having to "adjust" the dies with a fine grit reaming. So, I assume CL is sizing AFTER the HT coating and is successful without Leading. If the barrel slugs out to be .355 and there isn't any Leading in your barrels then I should be good to go.
Thanks
Sparky45

rowe_s

Re: now, heres nother idea

Postby rowe_s » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 pm

carload9 wrote:heres nother idea for members who dont cast their on bullets. I talked to 2- alpha (john) commercial reloaders that steve rowe buys from Iowa farm country. Buy 1000 125gr 9mm (rowe s would shoot em in 380) bullets from john unlubed/unsized for only 55$dollars. Hello!

Then buy 1/2 liter from bayoubullets.net and slosh and cook your thousand bullets.

Read both web sites:
http://www.bayoubullets.net/

http://www.twoalphabullets.com/

Folks, john is a match shooter with these bullets. Email both of these guys and see what you can learn.

Under boolit lube section of castboolits forum i started a thread that is now sticky with over 1000 post called : simple hi-tek-coating. [/u]

Hey Mike, You mentioned John at Two Alpha Bullets. I just spoke with him, he is working with the coating now, I didn't know it because of being laid up and not getting out much this summer. With that I'll use this opportunity to apologize to Sparky for my remark, I blame not keeping my mouth shut because of recuperating and drugs I was on.

I'm going to see John early this coming week and we are going to look at automation on the coating process. It will be interesting.

I helped him make bullets before. It is hard work! Really keeps you humping, and we were only running 2 machines.

carload9

lcp

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:07 pm

my lcp (mine does great at .355) Bought the other day has 150 of these thru it and 2x magnifier the barrel looks like day i bought it, with just lite wire brush 6 or 7 times. Then buff inside barrel with the plastic brush, LMAO,, This stuff is incredible. If you think steve and my stories are good you should talk to twoalpha.com where we get our bullets (unsized/unlubed) , hes a match shooter at 600 rounds per day. Hes tried to get it dirty, it want! Hell my sig does great at .355. But i am opinionated and getting older.

carload9

lcp

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:08 pm

my lcp (mine does great at .355) Bought the other day has 150 of these thru it and 2x magnifier the barrel looks like day i bought it, with just lite wire brush 6 or 7 times. Then buff inside barrel with the plastic brush, LMAO,, This stuff is incredible. If you think steve and my stories are good you should talk to twoalpha.com where we get our bullets (unsized/unlubed) , hes a match shooter at 600 rounds per day. Hes tried to get it dirty, it want! Hell my sig does great at .355. But i am opinionated and getting older.

carload9

lcp

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:09 pm

my lcp (mine does great at .355) Bought the other day has 150 of these thru it and 2x magnifier the barrel looks like day i bought it, with just lite wire brush 6 or 7 times. Then buff inside barrel with the plastic brush, LMAO,, This stuff is incredible. If you think steve and my stories are good you should talk to twoalpha ,, where we get our bullets (unsized/unlubed) , hes a match shooter at 600 rounds per day. Hes tried to get it dirty, it want! Hell my sig does great at .355. But i am opinionated and getting older.

http://www.twoalphabullets.com/

carload9

three lock box

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 pm

dont know how i did that. 3 lock box. sorry.

Berry's and extreme are sized at .355. I think i like this bullet better, I shot 3000 extreme copper plated. This is not a lead bullet or a lubed bullet at all, more on the leed of berry's. IMO. Funny match shooters are starting to use it around the earth and oz land for 20 years, as i said before: jerry miculek may be the one to have brought it to america.

Now sparky, silvia at magma,, i was talking to here one day and i said, "well ya gotta size",, she said, well yes if ya want to shoot straight. She knows more that i do. Didn't you order hitek sparky? Yes i size after coating, it is so slick you cant hold onto it.

I can help members who buy 1/2 liter (gotta call to get 1/2 order). And get them on their way. PM or such!

Can we all see this 800 degree therometer from lyman? Skin of bullet/u see!

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Yeah, I got the Red Copper color but I haven't got a Oven yet. Once I get it I'll be "shaken and bakin" for a late summer get together with my brother. Lot a shootin goin ta happen. What I need advice about is proper sizing of the HT bullet. As an example; I cast and size a .452 boolit for my 45ACP which slugs @ .451'ish. What would be the appropriate size to finish a HT bullet to use in my 45ACP, .451 or .452. In other words, am I going to get Leading in the barrel if I use a .451 HT instead of a .452 HT?
After all we all know that size does matter, right?

carload9

dies and size

Postby carload9 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:27 am

What dies you have i would just use them already. You can stay with 452 and 356. That will be fine. Only reason i use smaller (.451&.355) is that i bullet feed with drop die and step expander's. My total outside finish is more like copper plated bullets. And i mess with micro pistols (380/9mm) that usually have feed problems . Just stay at 52/56 if ya want. Ive done both. I have .451 & .452 ... You guys been doing this lot longer than i have. I just read forums and do pistol only and the same 3 calibers for three years almost. Its great that i am content with what i have, saves me money. I dont ever shoot over 10 or 20 feet/indoor range. I do have carbine/shoots 40 S&W. One day i might get a 40 mold w/gas check then stain with hiteksupercoat.

If you keep in mind, to lite stain instead of coat, ya want have problems. Coats should look like you screwed up and got it to thin, then after u cook u see! Use your cell phone for timer then you can go cast or reload while they cook for 8 mins.. You mix will be 5-1-10. Stain is the word.

You should take time to build this rack. Do not use hardware cloth, use stucco wire from home depot. 8x 3 for only 8 dollars.
You see 5$ white (yard sale) box fan on floor. I dry my clean brass there too. I used my air staple gun. You know what oven to buy.

"Its shake an bake mama" I know you remember that tv commercial.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am

Well, I have the Hornady bullet feeders in 45ACP and 38/357, so I guess I need to size according to what they will allow to flow through. I will be getting a .356 Star Lube Die when the Perfessor gets back up to par, I already have a .451.
Sparky45

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Was at twoalphabullets today. John is really moving ahead with the Hi-Tec lube. He's making some great bullets. On most sizes he will continue to offer both types of lube.

carload9

yay

Postby carload9 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:47 pm

did u see his conveyor belt? Dont call it lube, thats a bad word. Somthing in mail 4u today.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Yep, I saw his conveyor. He has a nice setup coming together. Tomorow I go to see some friends about some more coveyors, I have a variable speed drive that is going into it.

Maybe Wednesday I am going to help him run bullets so I can get a real good feel for what is needed on the coating end. John is a very creative person, but a second set of ideas sometimes helps. Even manually he has the coating process happening pretty fast. But all of the time coating the bullets is still extra time. They all still go through the sizer where they got lubed anyway.

Return to “Odds and Ends”