Collet Puller Lube

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

Collet Puller Lube

Postby rowe_s » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I use a collet puller to pull the bullets on my rifle rounds. I have tried without much success using STP, gear lube, and a few other oils to stop the collet from seizing in the puller body.

Today I was pulling some 223 bullets when the obvious came to mind. I have some Permatex brand anti-seize, I put a very tiny amount on the forcing surfaces of the collet. I only had a couple dozen rounds left to do. It did not seize closed a single time. (That?s a record for me) The anti-seize does not migrate like oil so that will be a plus also.

I have a few hundred more that I plan on redoing the powder charge on. When I get them pulled I will update this post with the results.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Pulled 300 more today. Only had the collet stick closed on one bullet. I'm sold on this stuff for anything with a collet.

When I start loading these rounds again I am going to use the anti-seize on the collet in the Lee Dead Length Bullet seater. For cases like these that have already been primed I use a mandrel in the dead length bullet seater with the decapping pin cut off. This way I can tru up the neck without depriming the case.

Return to “Odds and Ends”