Im just casting stupid

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

doranj

Im just casting stupid

Postby doranj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I started casting almost 4 years ago, when i started shooting & really didnt think about it too much. I went to the scrap yard & bought a bunch of these lead bars weighing about 22 lbs a piece. Bought it back then for .25 per lbs. Didnt know what what it was, but made good bullets. Little lighter that what the mold was to cast. Finally figured out that it was. Lyno. Got some leading, not much, but seemed brittle to me after checking some short targets. Anywho, after reading the forums & other material. People used wheel weights, got them for close to nothing. Ive never been able to do that. Tried the tire shops. Im not gonna pay the salvage yard for a bucket of wheel weights cause its not all lead. Anywho, I would like to cast other than to have to use lyno & dilute with pure lead. Sorry for the stupid post. Ive been buying sheets of pure lead scrap with the paper or cardboard still attached to it. Melt that down to ingots. Now what. What the hell does Tin look like. Where do you get it & what the hell does antimony look like & where do you get it. I casted some 9 mm about 15 bhn. Filled my grooves in no time at all. Pure lino did not do it. 22 bhn. Sized both to .356. Separate shooting sessions. Thought I checked the bore to .355 but maybe not. I am about confused.

doranj

Postby doranj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Sorry, forgot to add this. I need some help.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:18 pm

It's been many years since I cast bullets, but have got the stuff to do it again. I have a recipe for bullet metal using linotype and lead. I will look tomorrow for the recipe and post it for you. Also I think the Lyman manual is where I got my info. Like I said it was a lot of years ago. I will check the manual tomorrow and reply.

carload9

steve

Postby carload9 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:45 am

steve, just buy big ingot from john. The best bullet lead you can get and custom made a local foundry to a boolit recipe.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 am

I buy my alloys from roto metal. Tin is about 18 bucks a pound and I buy superhard that is 70% lead 30% antimony and that is 22 bucks for a 5LB bar.

Recipe for Lyman #2

90% lead 5% tin 5% antimony

15LBS 5 OZ LBS pure lead
1 LB tin
2 LBS 11 OZ superhard.

that will give you a nice 20 LBs of Lyman #2 alloy. 15 BHN

this has the right amount of tin and antimony to fill out moulds really nice.

your alloys for what ever you want to make.You Can down load a calculator at www.castboolits.com
this will tell how to blend your alloys for what ever you want to make.

hope this helps

rowe_s

Re: steve

Postby rowe_s » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:27 am

carload9 wrote:steve, just buy big ingot from john. The best bullet lead you can get and custom made a local foundry to a boolit recipe.

That is where most of my metal that I use is going to come from. I will recover some of his bullets at the range, and make new ones out of them. But most of what I shoot will still be what John makes.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 am

I can't find my old recipe that specked linotype. The way I remember it had the tin in it. Maybe the answer could found on castbullets.com

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Found the composition of linotype, it is in the Lyman book, missed it earlier.

Linotype:
lead 84%
tin 4%
antimony 12%
BNH 22

Return to “Odds and Ends”