Cleanest brass?

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

carload9

E

Postby carload9 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:02 am

Thanks. gonna try to figure out photobucket, it acting up.

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Okay, just got the Lee Universal Decap, and as stated the brass does not need to be clean, as it ONLY decaps! Very cool, now decaping on one and sizing on 2, so no need to do TWO rounds of cleaning. Thanks for the responses and great tips.

THRASH

UPDATE

Postby THRASH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:02 am

UPDATE

So after doing this for over a year now, a few observations:
- The posters here are hopefully speaking of decapping dirty brass on a single stage press? Sounds like a huge waste of time unless you are cleaning just 50 cases at a time. I'm cleaning & loading 500 or 1000 cases at a time.

- Decapping dirty cases with the LLM before cleaning them will destroy your press. Dirt, soot and gunk will cover every surface of the case feeder system, shell plate, CARRIER (this would be where the worst damage would occur), indexing system, priming system and even the frame, ram and lever linkages. Dirt & soot will shake out, fall and whirl out over everything.

So I tumble twice. Once after the range, then after depriming to clean primer pockets (or you could clean them by hand, one-by-one???), only SS pins or ultrasonics clean the pockets. That way when depriming, I use a dedicated turret with just the universal deprimer die, and can use the case feeder. I pull back the case retainer at station #3 and place a paint roller tray in position to catch the cases. This way they are out sooner and skip 2 stations. Then I clean the 2nd time and reload.

DOC H

Re: Cleanest brass?

Postby DOC H » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:16 am

HAS anyone tried the NEW FRANKFORD ARSENAL wet tumbler that holds 1000 223 cases? looks like a really fast way to clean brass for under $ 175.00 bucks. thinking about retiring my F. A. vibratory cleaner and gett'n one. Then there's the BRASS SQUIRREL at brasssquirrel.com for $ 1,075.00 bucks HEAVY DUTY model. Wish I could afford that.

rowe_s

Re: Cleanest brass?

Postby rowe_s » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:59 am

carload and sparky got it right. A universal decapping die only decaps.

Return to “Odds and Ends”