Whole new ball game

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Whole new ball game

Postby Hawkmoon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm

I've been reloading for several years, but only for handgun (.45 Auto, mostly, and some 9mm and .38 Special). Although I have a pro 1000 and a Loadmaster, I've been keeping ahead of my needs with my trusty old 4-hole turret press, and I've got my process fairly streamlined.

• Tumble
  • Deprime on separate, single stage press with universal decapper die
  • Prime large batches of cases using Lee AutoPrime
  • Lightly lube prepped cases with Hornady One-Shot spray lube
  • Load
The press is set up with a Lee Auto Disk Pro on the powder-through flaring die, so charging the cases is automated, and very consistent. Last step is the factory crimp die.

BUT ...

Now I want to get into reloading for an 8mm Mauser mil-surp rifle. I bought Lee's 3-piece 8mm Mauser die set, and I found I will have to substantially alter my sequence. The 3-die set doesn't include a powder through die, so all cases will have to be both primed and charged by hand. It appears there is no flaring die, since #1 is resizing, #2 is seating, and #3 is factory crimp.

Should be interesting.[/list]

erle

Re: Whole new ball game

Postby erle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:...It appears there is no flaring die...

Rifle cases are not flared like pistol brass. The resizer/depriming die has an expander button in it that resizes the inside of the neck on the up-stroke. Make sure you deburr the inside (& outside) of each case mouth after trimming during case preparation.

motopic

Postby motopic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Lee sells a GeneralPurpose Flaring die for rifle/pistol.

And yes you DO flare rifles when you load cast lead bullets.

erle

Postby erle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks Motopic, I've never reloaded cast lead bullets in rifle calibers and was not aware that was what Hawkmoon plans to do.

Return to “Odds and Ends”