Does anybody

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

doranj

Does anybody

Postby doranj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Anybody, load without load books & just looks at powder sites to get their loading info. Just curious. I am not one that does this. I think I have just about every updated book except for Norma. Not enough pictures in it for me. Anywho, maybe I am looking at this wrong, but I do reload for a few calibers & it is nice to put books side by side to see the difference & try to learn the difference. I do not reload everyday, but when I do I pull them all out to take a look & go over my notes from previous loads. I am just ranting cause I am on this facebook page & people from time to time are reluctant to buy a manual & ask for loads off the web & others say just go to the powder site. Well I find loads in books that are not in the powder sites. Anywho, Im done bitching. Nice to get it off my chest. I didnt get into this hobby for ease. Anyone can make cheap ammo. I want mine to be the best.

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:03 am

Reference is reference, the more the merrier... and safer. I try to get as many books as possible, as well as bookmarking any website and getting apps for my iPhone. Right now I have 12 books, and there are two others I still want to get. Best so far is the Pet Load Handbook. To be honest, I am pretty much dialed in for the few calibers I reload, but hope to start loading 410 shotshells (custom projectiles & chain for my Judge), .45 LC and .45-70, so more books will be forthcoming.

Chickenthief

Postby Chickenthief » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:21 am

I use QuickLoad and have for the past 10+ years.

R1200R

Postby R1200R » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 am

I often go the the powder manufacturer's website for load data. Easy yes, accurate yes. I've compared my Lyman manual to the manufacturer's on line load data and find them with 10ths of a grain or so most times. I find it exceptionally convenient, where else would you be able to get the most up to date data on their powders?

I will not copy loads custom built others. No exceptions.

Consistent case preparation, consistent loading techniques, refining your shooting capability, recording all these results, and further experimentation are what lead to better ammo, not just comparing three books on the counter.

Return to “Odds and Ends”