Bullet puller fix

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

piratepast40

Bullet puller fix

Postby piratepast40 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Was loading some 9mm on my LoadMaster and loaded up about a dozen without primers before I realized that they weren't sliding down the chute. Went to pull them to recover the brass and bullets and my impact puller started messing up. I thought the problem was the cheap collet or the hammer being chewed up where the collet fits into the plastic hammer. Since this was my second impact puller, decided to look for a different type. Was looking at press mounted pullers but realized that would be a lot of uneven stress on the shell plate and decided against it. Thought of using a standard collet in the impact puller and started looking for the right size. Then I stumbled across this one from Titan Reloading: http://www.titanreloading.com/kinetic-bullet-puller/twist-chuck-assembly and thought I would give it a try. It's only 6.99 and I needed to order a new decapping pin anyway.

The thing works as advertised. It looks like a standard collet until you look closer. The bottom of it is a little different in that it will still hold the brass when it slips down a lower than usual. Like they say, you actually do give the cap another twist after the first time you smack it on the floor.

Anyone else having problems, might want to get one of these before buying a new impact puller.

Chickenthief

Postby Chickenthief » Thu May 26, 2016 4:53 am

Or you could start using a standard case holder from your single stage press.
Fits right in you know?

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu May 26, 2016 7:07 am

Here is a good link to read if you use shellholders in a kinetic bullet puller.
https://www.shootersforum.com/warning-notices-recalls/50347-inertial-bullet-puller-warning.html
Response #10 has an illustration that explains the possible cause.

I've been using the Quinetic collet for 8 years at least. Its advantage over the regular collet or the shellholder (other than safety) is the rapidity and simplicity with which the pulling can be done.
Here is a link to the Quinetic sire. http://www.quineticscorp.com/

piratepast40

Postby piratepast40 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:44 am

Chickenthief wrote:Or you could start using a standard case holder from your single stage press.
Fits right in you know?

Don't have a single stage press, using a Load Master. The shell holder and new style collet were about the same price so went with the collet. I had also read the post about detonating a bullet while using a standard shell holder. Yes, there was some stupidity involved, but felt it was better to get a product designed for the job.

Return to “Odds and Ends”