Running a serial number on a gun.

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

doranj

Running a serial number on a gun.

Postby doranj » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 pm

A friend of my texted me yesterday and asked if there is a site where you can punch in the model, make and serial number to a gun to find out if it has been stolen. This someone is giving him the gun, did a bill of sale and I was a bit leary of the idea. This someone is going into rehab and doesnt want to have it anymore. I do not know the full details, but said he gun is clean. Maybe he is afraid of blowing his head off or something. I have no idea. I told him Id check. Anyway have not been on here in quite awhile. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying to reload. I cant remember the last time I did. Ive been so busy with work and my loading room is a wreck like know other. I turn 49 this year, I know a youngster, but bought me a 4 wheel atv 2 months ago and been having the time of my life. Thanks Jason

Sparky45

Re: Running a serial number on a gun.

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Here's something to try:

You can take the number to a gun shop and they can do it or try this site:

http://www.hotgunz.com/

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

I never wanted possession of stolen property to be against me. On a couple of occasions I had purchased a couple guns at such a low price it made me suspicious. So I just took them to the sheriffs department and had them check the numbers. If they were bad they had some hot guns given to them and I would loose, but they turned out ok.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:11 pm

rowe_s wrote:I never wanted possession of stolen property to be against me. On a couple of occasions I had purchased a couple guns at such a low price it made me suspicious. So I just took them to the sheriffs department and had them check the numbers. If they were bad they had some hot guns given to them and I would loose, but they turned out ok.

My son in law bought a car once and the number on the title didn't match the car. The cop who came to run the numbers told him if it was stolen, he (my son in law) could be arrested for possession of stolen property.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 am

darwin wrote:
rowe_s wrote:I never wanted possession of stolen property to be against me. On a couple of occasions I had purchased a couple guns at such a low price it made me suspicious. So I just took them to the sheriffs department and had them check the numbers. If they were bad they had some hot guns given to them and I would loose, but they turned out ok.

My son in law bought a car once and the number on the title didn't match the car. The cop who came to run the numbers told him if it was stolen, he (my son in law) could be arrested for possession of stolen property.

That's true, I'm probably in the minority these days but I believe a sheriff is NOT going to turn things on a good citizen. The good citizen would be the person turning in a hot pistol. Also I used to patrol with the sheriff before he became the sheriff. If they catch a person trying to hide a hot pistol all of them should arrest.

Return to “Odds and Ends”