bullet hardner or linotype

Everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. Keep it civil.

Moderator: darwin

tcrow49

bullet hardner or linotype

Postby tcrow49 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Where could a guy find some good printer's lead or something else that might work for .357 and .44 mag. I've seen some on ebay but I don't really trust it . Is there anything else you can use . I use wheel wieght and they do fine in my cheap little 1911 style 45 acp Max llama but the mags beef up the vol. a bit. I have used them even without gas checks and never noticed any or much leading and I'd like to cast some 30-06, 30-30 and what ever. any advice from someone who's been there and done that.

azleadmelter

Postby azleadmelter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 pm

For myself, I dont shoot cast in rifle much.

But I have a friend that does, he uses straight WW, sized, and water dropped, he then uses a old toaster oven to heat his boolits, then "dunks" the try in water and his boolits are very hard.

He shoots comp, and is a very very good shot.

tcrow49

Postby tcrow49 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:59 pm

I do water drop all my cast if meaning drop in water from the mold and don't do alot of rifle. But I have done a few 30-30 and 30-06 my son killed a small dear with one that went clean thru one side and came out the shoulder. I do shoot .357 and .44mag I'd like to get a little harder for those cal. I might try the oven and see what I come up with.

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:00 pm

RotoMetals http://www.rotometals.com/Antimony-s/1.htm is very trustworthy.

The URL above takes you to the antimony section but you'll find with a little searching there just about anything you might want for bullet casting.

I buy tin and antimony from them and the service is great and fast and the prices are very fair.

Antimony seem to scare casters and there is a lot of myths about how hard it is to alloy in to the mix. It's not hard to do if you just keep the temp around 630 to 650 and use a lot of sawdust and stir, stir, stir. It take me about 45 to 60 minute to get about 1 pound alloyed into 18 pound of lead/tin. for about 22 BHN. PM me if you want to go this route.

helg

Re: bullet hardner or linotype

Postby helg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 pm

tcrow49 wrote:Where could a guy find some good printer's lead or something else that might work for .357 and .44 mag.

"Clip on" wheel weights with 1% tin added is enough for everything from mid-pressure 45ACP through high pressure rifles like .223 if you prepare your bullets properly. Be sure to get the weights, not the ingots made from them, then throw away zinc weights and separate clip-ons (these are pure lead, which is good for old low pressure calibers). I do not trust buying ingots, they may have zinc weights or clip-ons melted in.

- Air cooled bullets show BHN hardness around 10. This works for 45ACP.
- Water quenched bullets have BHN around 18. This works for 9mm/40/357/44M and other high pressure pistol rounds.
- Heat treating bullets, like described here, can raise BHN up to 30, which is good for high power rifles.

Formula for the needed BHN is here.

Lee hardness tester is a awesome piece of equipment in this way.

Jumping Frog

Re: bullet hardner or linotype

Postby Jumping Frog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm

helg wrote:"Clip on" wheel weights with 1% tin added

A alternate source of tin is to get some 50-50 bar solder or the newer "lead free solder" (95% tin).

Return to “Odds and Ends”