How bad are HiPoints?

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

SidecarMike

How bad are HiPoints?

Postby SidecarMike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 am

In another thread, uniquedot wrote:
Have any of you guys seen the Iraqveteran8888 youtube video where he set out to destroy a couple of cheap high point pistols? He hammered an empty case in the muzzle, and remote fired it, and it survived! He then fired two overloads in it, and it survived even though if i recall one was a double charge. He also abused the thing with his truck... makes me wonder if all those horror stories about the cheap things are for real.

I still own two of the three HiPoints I've had. Both my C9 pistol and 995 Carbine are flawless performers. The pistol has had around 400 rounds, a couple times a month for better than three years now. It is a bit heavier and bulkier than either my S&W M&P, or my old Beretta 92. Just the same, it is the only one my wife will shoot. She says it fits her hand and doesn't have the recoil of the others.
I had a JHP, which is their 45ACP model. It was every bit as dependable. I paid $199 for it and would still have it if my furnace guy hadn't offered to install a natural gas heater in my garage as an even swap. The heater alone was over $200 plus he installed about 30 feet of line and regulator.
The carbine is extremely accurate, though I've only shot a few hundred rounds through it.

I'll post another message later about their warranty, as this one is getting long enough.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:52 am

The only bad thing about Hi Point pistols, as far as I know, is the heavier slide due to it being a blowback action.

I love their carbines - I have two 9mm versions. If they ever come out with a .45 ACP version, I'll be buying one of those.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am

darwin wrote:The only bad thing about Hi Point pistols, as far as I know, is the heavier slide due to it being a blowback action.

I love their carbines - I have two 9mm versions. If they ever come out with a .45 ACP version, I'll be buying one of those.

Get out your checkbook!

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbine ... liber.html

I'm saving my pennies for a new sidecar, or I would have one in the safe by now.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:56 pm

If someone had told me what he did to that pistol, and it survived, i would not have believed them. I can't deny it because i watched the video. I'm definitely going to save up for a carbine...probably the 9mm for economy of the round.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:09 pm

The same guy just uploaded another video a couple hours ago with the same pistol and this time he drove a bolt into the barrel! I just don't understand all the stories i have heard about the slides blowing off and breaking noses, and knocking folks teeth out etc. I have been terrified of the thought of even standing near someone shooting one.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 pm

It took a good part of the day, but I found one of those carbines. I paid more than retail, but only $12 more than I would have paid buying one off of gunbroker.com and paying the shipping and transfer fee.

I've been waiting for these for about 3 years.

I have two 9mm versions (the old style), but don't really want to start reloading 9mm again.

Serial number 688.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

darwin wrote:It took a good part of the day, but I found one of those carbines. I paid more than retail, but only $12 more than I would have paid buying one off of gunbroker.com and paying the shipping and transfer fee.

I've been waiting for these for about 3 years.

I have two 9mm versions (the old style), but don't really want to start reloading 9mm again.

Serial number 688.

Can't wait to see the range report!

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 pm

uniquedot wrote:

Hopefully in the morning.....

Stupid question - I see they sell compensators. What exactly do these DO?

I dealt with the devil today - I bought it at Don's Guns ("I don't like to make money, I just love to sell guns")

The only other way I could get one was through gunbroker - $317, $35 shipping, $25 transfer fee. - $377.

I paid $360 ($399 with 10% discount). With sales tax it was $388.

Anyhow, that was probably the best deal in the place. I saw another rifle like mine with a bayonet (A really short one), the front pistol grip and a flashlight for ........ wait for it ....... $947.

He had 3 Ruger LCPs - I think they were $699 - may have been $599. The pink one was $299 or $399. He had a WWII 1911 for 3 grand. He had some pistols that were made in Israel - they looked like oversized 1911s - I think one was a 44 mag - about 2 grand.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:13 am

darwin wrote:
uniquedot wrote:

Hopefully in the morning.....

Stupid question - I see they sell compensators. What exactly do these DO?

I dealt with the devil today - I bought it at Don's Guns ("I don't like to make money, I just love to sell guns")

The only other way I could get one was through gunbroker - $317, $35 shipping, $25 transfer fee. - $377.

I paid $360 ($399 with 10% discount). With sales tax it was $388.

Anyhow, that was probably the best deal in the place. I saw another rifle like mine with a bayonet (A really short one), the front pistol grip and a flashlight for ........ wait for it ....... $947.

He had 3 Ruger LCPs - I think they were $699 - may have been $599. The pink one was $299 or $399. He had a WWII 1911 for 3 grand. He had some pistols that were made in Israel - they looked like oversized 1911s - I think one was a 44 mag - about 2 grand.

The compensator reduces recoil and muzzle jump for better accuracy. Were those Israeli pistols the desert eagles?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am

uniquedot wrote:
The compensator reduces recoil and muzzle jump for better accuracy. Were those Israeli pistols the desert eagles?

I don't think so - they didn't say Desert Eagle on them - the name of the manufacturer had the word Israel in it.

But thinking about it, they probably WERE Desert Eagles - I didn't see that name on the guns or boxes though.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Darwin, did you ever test your carbine? I am still looking into getting one of these and was hoping to get some info on reliability and accuracy.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 am

Yes, I have shot it. It is just as accurate and reliable as my 9mm and my son-in-law's 9mm. I don't believe I've ever had a misfire in any of them.

My only (small) complaint is that 1911 magazines don't fit without modification. You have to cut a small notch in the 1911 magazines IIRC. Or build up a bump. I'd have to look at them to be sure.

But as for the gun itself, no complaints whatsoever. I really like the new stock better than the old one.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I am still trying to find one locally so i can handle it before buying it.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm

I think the Dunham's sporting goods stores carry them, if you have any of those nearby.

customcutter

Postby customcutter » Sat May 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I knew from several years ago that they were working on a .45. Now that I've spent all my mad money on a LM and and several caliber changes I guess I'll have to wait a while to pick one up. Maybe by then I can figure out if I want one in .40 or .45.

BTW I do have one of the pistols in .40. Only shot a few clips through it but no complaints. For less than $200 I was keeping it in the truck when working in a bad area. Didn't want to leave the Kimber in the truck in case anything happened to it.

CC

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”