Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 compact

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

Jet1200

Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 compact

Postby Jet1200 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:55 pm

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_7.html

SA has screwed up the compact terminology for the XDm. First they came out with a version that they called a compact. Now they have a real compact version, 11 +1, and 16 +1, in 40 S&W.

It took me a while to figure out the part number for the one of interest to me.

It is XDM9384CB, 40 Cal, compact, black, standard sites.
It has a 3.8 inch barrel, is 28 oz, 6.75 inches long and with the 11 round magazine is 4.75 inches high.

The reviews that I have read about this weapon have been very favorable.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum may own this model in 9mm, 40, or 45. If so, I would like to have your input/comments.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 am

I don't have one of them but I do have the 45 XD and the 9xdm custom competition. If that 40 is built like them I think most would be very happy with it. I would be very interested in how it shoots when you get yours as it sounds like it is going to be in your future.

Jet1200

Postby Jet1200 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes

I imagine I will have one soon (I have ordered an XDm kydex shell for the XDM compact). I ordered a holster (S&W 40c), shell, and gun belt from Old Faithful holsters. They were recommended by another poster on loadmaster forum.

The reviews have been good for the XDM 3.8 compact, some comments that the trigger may need some work, but I do not have to rush into doing that. What do you think of the triggers on the XD's that ypu have?

I have done trigger jobs (with Apex kits) on my 3 S&W M&P's.

Will be interesting to see how the XDM compares to the S&W MP.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm

For me the trigger on either is great. No snags, no creep just a nice crisp pull. They compare quite favorably with my Glock 35. If you are a competition or match shooter you may want to do some smoothing out, but as I haven't shot the compact I really don't know. I hope you love it.

Jet1200

Postby Jet1200 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:38 pm

For sure I will put a few hundred rounds through it before I even think about doing anything with the trigger.

A guy at my club has an XDM not sure which model, but he likes it and does well with it.

I will have an XDM 3.8 40 compact waiting for me at my LGD when I return in April.

davidbgreene

XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm

Postby davidbgreene » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm

I've been carrying mine for a couple of years now, I shoot regularly with it as well and it seems to eat lead as well as JHP or Plated. I like it. It's wide but it doesn't bother me. Very accurate little pistol.

Only had one issue with it and that was some crapola cheap reloaded ammo I bought. The only thing it really needs is a better set of sights, I'm leaning towards the TFO even though the warranty sucks.

Trigger does kinda suck on the gun, but like any gun after you shoot it enough you are totally used to it. Since I carry it I don't want to have the trigger modded for legal reasons in case I ever have to use it.

It's worth getting the finger extension plate for the compact mag.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I had an XD in .40 S&W. I got rid of it, to short of a site line and a bit snappy for a SD gun in my opinion.

rowe_s

Re: XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm

Postby rowe_s » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

davidbgreene wrote:I've been carrying mine for a couple of years now, I shoot regularly with it as well and it seems to eat lead as well as JHP or Plated. I like it. It's wide but it doesn't bother me. Very accurate little pistol.

Only had one issue with it and that was some crapola cheap reloaded ammo I bought. The only thing it really needs is a better set of sights, I'm leaning towards the TFO even though the warranty sucks.

Trigger does kinda suck on the gun, but like any gun after you shoot it enough you are totally used to it. Since I carry it I don't want to have the trigger modded for legal reasons in case I ever have to use it.

It's worth getting the finger extension plate for the compact mag.

I agree David, no trigger job for a carry piece. Opposing attorney would be all over that. My carry ammo also says "Home Defense" for the same reason. Most of the people I have complain about the safe action triggers shoot low and left, they are anticipating the shot and slapping the trigger. After I coach them on the range a little their shot placement improves. This problem shows more with the compacts, practice is the cure.

davidbgreene

Postby davidbgreene » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am

I carry critical duty, it's better penetration wise than critical defense (Both Hornady products). A lawyer could probably try to argue intent, but as far as that goes if it comes out of the holster my intent is to kill to protect myself or others. My mindset is something like this if I have to draw my pistol: "I WILL shoot this person UNLESS they do whatever it is to make me NOT have to shoot.". A lot of people think along the lines of "I will shoot them IF they XYZ" which in my opinion isn't the right mindset. I'm not saying I'd fire right out of the box just speaking to my INTENT if the gun comes out.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:29 pm

davidbgreene wrote:I carry critical duty, it's better penetration wise than critical defense (Both Hornady products). A lawyer could probably try to argue intent, but as far as that goes if it comes out of the holster my intent is to kill to protect myself or others. My mindset is something like this if I have to draw my pistol: "I WILL shoot this person UNLESS they do whatever it is to make me NOT have to shoot.". A lot of people think along the lines of "I will shoot them IF they XYZ" which in my opinion isn't the right mindset. I'm not saying I'd fire right out of the box just speaking to my INTENT if the gun comes out.

I agree, I carry Critical duty when with law enforcement.
The rest of the time I want my round to stay in what it is that I shoot.
As a general rule I can't see the need for me to shot through a windshield + 13" of balistic jell for self defense. I'm sure though if I was shooting to save my hide I would wish I had a elephant gun.

davidbgreene

Postby davidbgreene » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Ballistic tests show it tends to stay in the person, but retains enough to penetrate heavy clothing and not become clogged, then expands causing major damage. I live in Philly, carjackings are common enough that I may have to fire through my door or window, but I am always thinking about backstop anyway. Just a good habit I guess. It's also a very accurate round from what I have seen, probably put 200 rounds of it though the gun to find point of aim and adjust handloads to that.

Generally speaking it's just a bit hotter version of critial defense. Golden saber was my round of choice before that, although when I could get my hands on glasier I carried that as well sometimes, but really was hashing out my choices for home defense and it was up top but it can't be found these days. I have a 9mm carbine with golden saber or hydroshock or maybe both right now, and that's what gets grabbed if something hinkey is going on at home. Just a cheap Hi-Point, but it's never let me down, and seems very accurate out to 50 and good enough to 100 not that I'd use it out that far, laser is dead nuts at 25. Pull trigger, laser disappears (hole). Ugly thing tho, and the trigger is crap, but I could probably chop a tree down with it and it would still work.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm

davidbgreene wrote: laser is dead nuts at 25. Pull trigger, laser disappears (hole).

I had a 9mm with the old stock. Bought a .45 with the new stock, then bought a new stock for the 9mm.

I hadn't thought of putting lasers on them, even though both have a rail on the bottom of the stock.

davidbgreene

Postby davidbgreene » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah I originally bought it for the girlfriend since it would be easier to handle than a handgun (she's not very experienced) and then the laser for the same reason. I got the 9mm just to keep the ammunition common, the 45 would really be a better choice but with a good hollowpoint and the added velocity of the long barrel I think it would work well. The laser seems to hold zero well enough although the plastic rails are garbage. There is a guy selling full length aluminum rails and a better front sight which at some point I'll get. The laser is also great for her because she can see her point of aim, and see it moving around if she is flinching etc, it really helped her with dryfire practice. Trying to teach her on irons on a 1949 mossberg 22 was not the best idea I ever had.

davidbgreene

Postby davidbgreene » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:36 pm

For me it's perfect, I live in the city so a rifle is out of the question (wall penetration to the exterior and possibly neighbors) but I also have critters all over the damn place so not comfortable with the shotgun in the home even though I know damn well it would be more effective.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 pm

davidbgreene wrote:For me it's perfect, I live in the city so a rifle is out of the question (wall penetration to the exterior and possibly neighbors) but I also have critters all over the damn place so not comfortable with the shotgun in the home even though I know damn well it would be more effective.

Pistol bullets go through walls like crazy. About the only thing that doesn't is shot and bullets from something like an AR15 or AK47, believe it or not. At least they don't penetrate as much as pistol bullets.

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”