Lookin' at 1,000 yards

This is where we can talk about our guns. I'd particularly like to see reviews and range reports of your guns, especially if it is a model that others may not be familiar with.

Moderator: darwin

magic mike

Lookin' at 1,000 yards

Postby magic mike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Hello all. Well I said I was going to do this after the first of the year but recent events have caused me to reconsider. This my new Remington 700 Police .308. Haven't decided on what glass to put on it yet but it's narrowed down to Leupold, Nikon or Vortex. 5X20X50, FFP, Illuminated mildot reticule, turret stops and parallax adjustment are what I want but may settle for SFC because of major difference in price. I'm only going to do this once so maybe I will step up. Thoughts?

mike

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/020-1_zpscfd3c80c.jpg[/img][/img]

Redleg06

Postby Redleg06 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:45 pm

I think you have a solid platform with the 700P, and you're going to need a great scope and mount to potentially reach out to 1k +. Of course you're also going to need a good spotter with a good spotting scope too. A lot of scopes these days are like fishing lures IMO.

I assume you're looking at a variable power scope to "work up" to 1k? Personally, I don't see the need since you'll probably start working up at 600 in which case a good 10x or higher fixed power scope is all you really need. Greatly simplifies the process as well and eliminates repeatability errors caused by the variable power. I think you can save some bucks by eliminating the illuminated mildot, maybe not. Maybe save on mildot as well unless you know how and plan to use it as designed.

For those you mentioned, I personally like the Leupold. Bushnell too. Both of which I actually like better than Swarovsky at twice the price. Give the guys at Optics Planet a call and discuss what you want to do. They're really great and I've been using them exclusively for all my optics. Their customer service is also outstanding.

Good luck!

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

After much research and reading everything I could get my hands on I went with the Vortex PST 5 X 20 X 50 moa/moa with the EBR-1 reticule. FOR THE MONEY it offered everything I wanted. My local indoor range offers only a 50 yd target opportunity and the public outdoor range does offer 100 yds but whey will not allow 30 cal guns due to politics and irresponsible gun owners who can't seem to keep their weapons pointed down range and at a target. There is a 500 yd range north of me about an hour and a 1000yd range south-west about 2-1/2 hours. So based on what is available to me from the range standpoint I chose a variable power scope. Unlike the government, I have a budget and for that reason I must look at every angle when making a decision like this. I put a Leupold 20 MOA base and Leupold MK 4 30MM steel rings on it along with a Harris 6"-9" BRM bipod. I looked everywhere for the scope and nobody had the one I wanted in stock. I finally stumbled across two of them at B&H Photo in NYC! Gave my shooting buddy a call and told him they had two so we bought both of them. I may trade up later but for now I think the Vortex will be fine.

Thanks for your input and I will post some more as it all comes together.

mike

Redleg06

Postby Redleg06 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Cool. I didn't see the 5-20 listed on their website, so maybe that's why they were hard to find...discontinued?

I've never shot Vortex or know anybody who does, but everything I read about them is good. I do have a Vortex bino harness but I guess you can't really relate accessories to scopes. Man! I can't believe what you have to go through to shoot! I totally understand the VX decision.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Sorry Redleg06 but I have misled you via a typo on my behalf. The scope is a 6 X 24 X 50. Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. :oops:

mike

Return to “Gun reviews and discussions”